1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery help

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Scott the fix it guy, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Scott the fix it guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Optima shipped to you from Amazon for free if you have Prime. The battery is about 140.00
    Here's how to install it:

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  2. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I did. I didn't need one in 2009, but was considering getting the kit for the Optima battery to have on hand. Unfortunately, I dawdled too long and in January 2012 one day the 12 volt battery died without warning. I ended up just picking up one from the dealer that day and installing it. 7.5 years on the original battery, and 5 years so far on its replacement.

bisco likes this.
  3. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for sharing the DIY video!

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder why this was posted to the Gen 1 section? Couple of things, the battery you suggest isn't the right one for the Gen 1's. & the price is up to $159.41. Amazon carries the correct battery, while Amazon doesn't list it for Gen 1's, this is the correct one https://www.amazon.com/dp/ B0013ZGZ9Q/ref=psdc_15719921_t1_B006VFEJJQ (remove the space just before the "B") It has to do with the battery post locations. Also somewhere along the line, Toyota changed the size of the terminal post connectors. The Gen 1's came with post that were the size of those jumbo pencils we had as kids. The Optima has that size posts. My Prius had the larger, US style posts and they wouldn't tighten down enough to connect. I found a set in a junk yard, but they aren't readily available on the 'net. These folks have the correct battery and the right connectors, Optima battery and installation kit for Prius 2001 to 2003

A little comment about good mechanics practice. The first thing you should do when disconnecting a battery (on any car, golf cart, motorcycle, etc.) is disconnect the negative (ground) connector from the battery. Makes the battery less likely to arc which can do damage to delicate electronics.

Thanks for posting, and Welcome!

5. Scott the fix it guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks Brian, Happy to Help