1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery - how to test it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tomlondon, Mar 21, 2013.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope.
    I do not see how the published method is an accurate method for measuring the internal resistance of the battery, nor is it accurate for determining if the battery has any bad cells.

iPhone ?

2. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do not understand either - how the computerised Prius subsystems tests all other signals. I.e. GPS satellites signal strenght, compass indications and many others. I trust, that Toyota engineers did not install in such sophisticated car the cheap voltmeter from supermarket :) I agree that deeper examination (bad cells as you mentioned) of the battery requires for sure something more - but as long as the Prius is not to be used for flying (as Dreamliner ;) I'm happy with this what I have.

pgannon likes this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The test procedure of the 12v Prius battery using the MFD in diagnostic mode that has been described in many threads on PC is a quick test that can easily detect a weak battery. The only significant issue is that it can be difficult to differentiate a discharged battery from one that needs to be replaced. If you take a long trip (charges the 12v battery), let your Prius rest overnight (dissipates the surface charge), and it fails the test, get a new 12v battery!

There have been many reports of Toyota dealers saying that a Prius battery is fine when in fact it will no longer hold a charge. Test it yourself.

My 12v battery lasted 8 years and over 200k miles in my Prius. That was due to never allowing a deep discharge and making mostly long trips (allows time for the Prius charging system to fully charge the battery). The Optima Yellow Top that is now in my Prius is doing well and it is likely that it will be the last 12v battery that I will need in my 2004 Prius.

JeffD (Authored the 12v Prius battery test procedure)

dorunron and Bill Norton like this.
  4. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just to get technical,, and an FYI,,

>1 There is a load test for batteries: you put a 300 Amp (or more) load on it to simulate a typical starter motor and watch the voltage drop by the second. The Prius 12 V battery, (with its little posts and cables) never sees this sort of duty. That type of load test is probably not good for it.

The 12 V Prius batt gets a ~50 Amp load for a few seconds during Boot Up of the main system while the HV battery is coming on line. Then the 12 V battery is just 'floating online' with the 12V Bus - actually this bus is at ~14.5 VDC when the DC to DC converter is supplying this 12V Bus. There is no "battery charger" in the system.
    The 12V battery is what powers all the lights and radio when the car is in Accessory Mode. That and the boot up is its only job

>2 There is a capacity test for batteries: The battery is tested at its rated Ahr rating for 1 hour to see how it does meeting its rated specification. The tester cuts off at 10 VDC and displays the results in % of rated capacity.
    For instance: The Prius is a 36 Ahr battery=(36 Amps for 1hr). Only the fine print says this at a 5 hr rate which means it will do 12.6 Amps for 5 hrs. (I'm making up this example, I can't remember the exact Prius spec.)

The point is, most car repair shops don't have a capacity tester. Aviation shops test batteries annually this way .
    Car shops may be abusing this little battery with their big time load tester at 400 Amps or so.

pgannon likes this.
  5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks reasonable stuff - (thanks for the link) - hey! it's available in my country as well - just checked. Expensive though...
    Being a garage owner I would equip my workshop with such tools. As for now I'm the end user only :whistle:

err.. somehow I could not send this post... server error for more than 1 hour ... was afraid whether Mr Kim pushed red button :cool:

7. tomlondon

tomlondon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for advice! I have just received a reply from the dealer and, although they said they wouldn't replace the battery as a warranty service because it passed their pre-delivery test, they will replace it as a "gesture of good will". Call it any way you want, but hats off to Toyota Inchcape in Guildford, a brand new battery in UK is £95, and I am getting a new one for free. The downside is that I live about 50 miles away from the dealership, but that will give me the opportunity to record mpg with the old battery and the new one on the same journey! I will report the difference!

8. Baggiebird8

Baggiebird8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom
    Good result. On checking the records for my car, the dealer (Platinum Toyota in Bath) had conditioned the battery on my car several times, but then fitted a new one prior to sale. My 2010 had been in stock for several months - but to their credit they were thorough in their pre sale service work.
    Welcome to Priuschat and Prius ownership.

9. tomlondon

tomlondon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just returned from the dealer - new battery installed, they also switched the reverse beep from continuous to just one beep, no questions asked, no charge. Can't really complain, can I? Mileage - to the dealer with old battery 62 mile journey at 47 mph average - 62 mpg (imp). One the way back, lot more stop and go traffic on the motorway, same journey length but average speed dropped to 36 mph - fuel consumption 60 mpg (imp). I guess it is not really indicative, given the change in traffic congestion... On my first day when I drove home from the dealer I only got about 54 mpg... One way or another, I am very satisfied both with the car and the dealer - Inchcape Toyota in Guildford!

10. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    As other people have said, there is no way that little 12V battery (that floats on the 12V bus) can suck up so much current that it effects fuel mileage. If it did, you'd have a really hot stinky mess back there.

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Actually, the 12v battery can impact MPG a bit. Our Prii use about 250 watt-hours of energy to go a mile. so if the 12v battery is pulling 5 amps continuously due to a problem on the 12v buss, it is wasting 60 watts of energy as heat.

In one hour of driving at 60 MPH the Prius goes 60 miles and uses about 1.5 kwatt-hours of motive energy. Therefore the faulty battery above that pulls 5 amps will decrease MPG by about 60/1500 or 4%. So it is reasonable that some failures of the 12v battery can cause a noticeable drop in MPG.

JeffD