1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery issues 2014 Prius 2

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Adam Powell, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Adam Powell

Adam Powell New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Prius drivers! This is my first post but I have been reading posts from this site for about 2 years. I bought a 2014 Prius 2 back in January of this year and when I got the windows tinted... the tech couldn't get the car to go into drive... I guess he left it in aux mode and drained the battery. Jumping it with a jump pack worked but it kept happening from time to time... now it's happening every morning... 3 check lights stay on, start button light is orange, if you try to shift the car beeps twice... no zero displayed in speedometer. So after going through this many times I realized if I just kept turning the car off and retrying.. it wouldn't eventually go into ready mode (usually the 3 or 4th time) then yesterday I realized while waiting to see if the car would go into ready mode, I still had my foot on the break and the start button light was green. But if I let off my foot it would turn orange. This was after I had turned it on but it didn't go into ready mode. So with the break pressed, the start light went to green and I pressed it which then put the car into ready mode and I was good to go.

I figured this short term remedy might be of use for somebody with a bad battery.
    Has anybody else done this? I haven't seen anything like this online, I wish I did though because I ended up jumping the car a couple times before. I have a new yellow top battery from amazon coming. It was about $156 after taxes. I called Toyota of Orlando to see if they would replace it for free because my car is a 2014... but they said no because I have 74000 miles (was an Uber slave). So, I read that if you spent the extra bucks on a Toyota auxiliary battery you would get a better warranty? I think I read that it would be a 5 year 150k mile warranty... definitely not the case... the big expensive hybrid battery is covered for that long but not the little aux battery in the back. Toyota would have charged $299 for this batter and 50 something with instalment... oh and it's got the same warranty as the yellow top, 36 month and however many miles... I even called advance auto and they were selling the yellow top for $239. I told the guy that the same battery was on Amazon for 147 before tax and he acted and little nervous (being the type that's always gotta be in the right) and he said that there was a 30% coupon online and that should get it to about the same price. 30% off would have gotten the battery to about $170 plus tax... but that wasn't the case... the online coupon was for $20 off. The guy just wanted to get off the hook obviously.

Take care out there!
    Adam

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco and RCO like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for your troubles and thanks for the info.
    Afaik, you need to have your foot on the brake before you press the start button. At least, you do with the P4.

There are too many rip off merchants out there, so we wary.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I was going to go after anyone it'd be the tint shop, but that's not going to get you anywhere, this late. I can't see Toyota handing out replacement battery for the tint shop's screw up.

At this juncture, just get a new battery, forget about it?

Adam Powell likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i believe the new toyota warranty on 12v batteries is 84 months prorated, with the first two years 100%. not sure i've heard of mileage on a battery, but maybe i'm wrong. and in florida, i believe your hybrid warranty is 8/100. all the best!(y)

Adam Powell likes this.