1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lamebums, May 13, 2012.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all--

A while back, I was trying to determine the source of some problems with achieving SHM (Super Highway Mode), and that it had no relation to the vehicle's SOC and would do the same regardless whether the Prius was in S3 or S4.

I think I may have found a culprit - the 12V battery. I came onto this because I realized that the only times I couldn't get SHM were at night (as, ironically enough, my pictures at the top of the "Issues with SHM" thread illustrate). As far as I know, it's original with the car. After letting the car sit overnight, the ScanGauge tells me that the battery reads 10.0 volts at rest, 9.6 when I turn the computer on, and 9.4 when I go to accessory mode. When I turn the power fully on, it jumps to 13.6-13.8 and stays there.

No warning lights, no strange behavior beyond the lack of SHM at nights. Is it time for the 12V to be shown the door? And if so, how difficult is the replacement? I despise the notion of paying a dealer $100+ for labor.

2. stillageek

stillageek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Replacement was easy for me. A 10MM and a 12MM socket wrench. I would have been done in 30 minutes if I had not dropped the last bolt to secure the negative cable to the body down the battery well.

Order from Advance Autoparts. After all said and done your down toe $125 or so.

3. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi stillageek--

I went ahead and ordered an Optima Yellowtop from Advance Autoparts, which set me back about $160. They said 3-4 days shipping. Here's to hoping my 9.9-volt battery doesn't turn my Prius into a dead start over the next week.

On a semi-related note, I wonder how much $ you can get from scrapping old batteries?

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When exiting the car make sure that you turn off all accessories (radio, fan, demisters etc) before you power off the car.

Then when you next go to start it make sure you put it into ready mode as soon as possible after getting in.

5. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi uart--

Yep, I made sure the lights were off, radio was off, and windows rolled up before I turned the power. I could tell an audible difference in tone when the car was off re: electric windows - they were much, much slower, in fact, they almost seemed like they wouldn't make it.

I got the Optima Yellow Top shipped to my door today and after some 45 minutes of swearing I got the new battery in. It holds at 12.6 volts per the scangauge and also I'm seeing much better fuel economy. I'm at 7 pips and had ~270 miles at 58.x MPG before the battery, I've had 49 miles at 67.x since. Time will tell if it made all the difference because I made some pretty serious attempts at hypermiling :)

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is the simplest test for someone without a voltmeter, when your windows are slower with the car NOT in ready, get a new battery