1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery jump start?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eduardo Taylor, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Eduardo Taylor

Eduardo Taylor New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey, I just made this account to ask for some prior information before I try jump starting my 2009 Toyota Prius

Here is some information I currently have

one. my car does not turn on at all, pressing on the brakes and trying to turn on the power does does nothing

Two, inserting the key into the slot, nothing happens, no light, no noise, nothing.

Three. I called AAA to try to jump start the car yesterday, what happened was that he had his battery pack, and he attached it to the correct charges, and the car was as able to turn on. When the car turned on I got to take a picture of the dash, I will clip it onto the post. He left it there for not even 2 minutes.But soon as the AAA guy took off his battery pack, it shut off everything. Lights were out. He put it back on. Car was able to start again.

Today I want to try doing "seilerts" advice. From this thread (Prius won't start...HELP | PriusChat)
    Before I do this I would like to know if I need o have any more prior information before I try this out. Such as
    "how long do I leave it connected to the donor car for? Do I turn on my Prius when the cars are connected? Do I need the donor car to be turned on or off?"
    Things like that I would like to know. If there is any more information I did not give, please tell me and I'll answer to the best of my ability!
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

you should start by replacing the 12v battery, then you won't have to go through any of that.

but if you do, connect it and try to start right away.

donor car should be off.

don't cross polarize the connections!!!

all the best.(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For what? To restore the battery? That would likely take forever. If you start the car, leave it running, drive across two or three states, that might do it. Or:

1. Check the voltage with a multimeter, with the car off, and post the results. The likely outcome of that though, is more'n likely: yup, it's near death, not worth charging, replace it.

2. Not very likely, but maybe it'll be borderline, and with intervention: a full charging session with a smart charger, you may wring a few more months of service out of it. At least some breathing room, time to go battery shopping.

4. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I read that on the thread of the link I put in, that " You must put the battery on a charger at 2+/- amps for several hours to have any hopes of saving it, otherwise plan on buying one from the dealer or the optima yellowtop."
    This is for the 12v.

5. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I
    I would love to not spend the money to get a new 12v as I don't have all that much to spend, if it comes down to it though I will! Thanks!

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah check it with a multimeter (can be purchased for $10~20) first and post. Strong likelyhood you need to spend more money though.

Optima Yellow Top are not the only option. There are several now. Check with dealership first, doesn't hurt to ask. There's a few others: Bosch, Exide too. The Yellow Top is a bit of an odd duckling too: it has high cranking amps, maybe at the expense of amp hours? FWIW, I've had a Yellow top for a bit over two years now, but will likely go with rebadged Exide next time.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What am I going to look for if I get the multimeter? For the battery to be at around 12v ? Such as 11.4v or something similar?

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2017-12-3_11-4-14.png

Anything under 12.4 is pretty bad, I'm guessing yours is toast, in the yellow zone, but have a look. Again, shelling out additional $50~80, you can get a decent smart charger, see what it can do. It will monitor the battery as it charges, will let you know if it deems it useless.

The bees knees for DIY assessment, is something like the Solar BA5 ($75). It will test at-rest voltage, AND the cold cranking amps, basically the underlying "health" of the battery, and will give a verdict, either good, good-but-recharge, or fail.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long has the battery been sitting?

10. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's been a bit now. Last time It was attempted to use was Tuesday last week, since then it's been in our driveway.

11. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok thank you will look into that for sure

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't want to buy a charger, you can try leaving it on for 8 hours and see if that will charge it up. if not, you need to replace. is it original?

13. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So before I went and did anything I tried to jumpstart the car. The car is n
    The 12v. I do believe it is. I will check the records for it. I bought this car used.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whenever jump starting a Prius, make sure the donor car stays turned off the entire time.

While not at all definitive, there have just been too many Prii wounded (usually a blown fusible link) or killed (blown inverter) from jump started problems. Thus, besides the risk of crossed connections, I strongly suspect there is a risk from some (not all) donor car charging systems putting an overvoltage condition on the Prius. When you already have car trouble, it is best to not add this possibility into the mix.

An isolated battery pack, like the AAA guy used, is much safer. And when it doesn't work, you can be much more confident of not having inflicted additional damage.

I would take this as a strong hint that the 12V battery is beyond salvage.

And even if you do manage to salvage this battery, your problems will repeat again, much sooner than later. And you'll have to go through this process all over again, exposing your Prius to additional risk of jumpstart-related electrical damage.

15. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok. So I went and jumpstarted the car. The ready symbol is on. And the lights that I attached the picture on. They are also gone. I have not taken it off the jumper cables. Should I take them off? The cables?

16. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A little bit too late. If this is the case then yes I will need to buy a new 12v. Thank you for the information

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is it being jumped from? Another car, or an isolated battery, or a battery charger?
    Now that you actually having it running from a jumpstart, you may as well follow through and see if the battery does come up to a reasonable level -- and survive the night with a usable charge. It will require a considerable time in 'Ready' to receive that charge, so it must be in a safe place to leave turned on while unattended.

Your Gen2 should have a voltmeter gauge buried somewhere inside the display menus.

18. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I attached what the Vehicle signal check mode says

Attached Files:

19. Eduardo Taylor

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius