1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery keeps getting discharged

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by D Huynh, Jan 15, 2014.

1. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, thats a real killer on a small battery. :(

2. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess I'm not quite following. Are you saying that on all our PiPs the dome light is constantly on, lighting the interior? Maybe a better question is, just what is the dome light, the tiny beam that illuminates the shift lever and center control buttons, or the light over the rear seats? Thanks.

3. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The overhead map lights right and left, If you forget to turn them off they will stay on.

4. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The map lights will not shut off when you close your front doors doors.

5. Michael999

Michael999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello,

I'm intrigued by your situation.
    1. If you noticed that when the dealer replaced the 12V battery, that your EV distance returned to the same value when the car was new?
    2. Since then, have you seen the EV distance start to decrease again?
    3. What is the average temperature overnight where you are?
    4. When you charged the battery, did you disconnect one of the leads as the manual states? Seems over cautious but may be for a good reason.

My battery was replaced, under warranty, but with no explanation. I have recently purchased a 12V battery warmer to see if this will improve my situation.

As for the appearance that the EV battery got charged overnight...The EV battery actually charges the 12V battery under normal conditions. A defective 12V battery will show therefore reduced EV range of the traction battery, draining the larger battery. If the 12V is replaced or recharged (i.e. overnight), then there is no longer a "burden" on the traction battery, making it appear that the voltage/EV range has been boosted, which is not the case.

Michael

6. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a reasonable guess, but I don't think that the car ever charges the 12 volt battery while it is off. Accessory battery failure is common in the Prius models, in part because of this.