1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by beth524, Jul 9, 2015.

1. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am replacing my 12v battery (which was the Westco purchased from e learnaid around 5 years ago-I did the retrofit for the connectors). The new replacement will be the Optimus 51R, as recommended by you folks. It is for sale on Amazon for $35 less than on elearnaid.

My question is, the elearnaid site states that they will include 5 pages (!) of instructions on installation because they say it is not obvious how to fit this battery in. Would these instructions really be necessary? I am inclined to think I can figure this out and save the $35.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You were bright enough to find us . . . battery replacement will be trivial. <GRINS>

Just make sure the battery B+ is towards the front. The only failures have been folks who reversed polarity and burned out their controllers. Hook up the ground last (so you don't get sparks tightening the B+ clamp) and for good measure, double check the polarity BEFORE connecting the ground.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Watch the videos on youtube. No special instructions other than: 1) carefully taking off the red cover and 2) using an extended socket to remove the rear duct for easy access to the battery. 45ish minutes and your good for another 5 years.

4. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I thought. I was able to do the first replacement, and that was with changing the connections. Thanks again for the guidance- you folks at Prius Chat have saved me so much hassle and money (and have prevented me from giving up on my Classic Prius!)

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update- all went well until I realized that the new battery would not fit in with the existing metal battery holder in place. Removing it would mean that there would be no hold down bar and battery would wiggle. I removed the two side supports from the metal battery holder (very soft metal- I broke it it by bending back and forth with pliers) and reinstalled. Everything seems to be working fine!

bwilson4web likes this.