1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NinnJinn, Feb 14, 2012.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was checking my 12v battery for a date to see if it needed to be changed while I still have funds to do so. I bought the 2002 from a really small dealership.

I have pulled the battery out searching for a date and there isn't one. Unless there is some kind of a code on it. I took pics and will post them as well. If I go to the local dealership, will they be able to tell me if any of the dealerships have installed a battery? Would they charge me anything to tell me the info?

Thanks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    290807 = 29th Aug 2007

Outside of the US, much of the world uses dd-mm-yy for date codes.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. 290807 is the code for ethylhexyl methacrylate.
    Its on alot of batteries.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info Ed. Now that I think about it, my date code wasn't stamped directly onto the battery like that. Mine was in the same format (261104 = 26 Nov 2004 in my case) but it was on a separate little white rectangular sticker that was attached to the top of the battery. It looks like in the OPs case someone has removed that sticker.

5. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, What should I do? I included pictures of the posts to show how clean they were. I don't know, maybe the 1 man team cleaned the battery posts up to make i look better? I don't know... Should I test it periodically to see if it is losing its charge etc? Would my local Toyota dealership be able to run the VIN and find out if and when it has been replaced?

From my understanding, the 12v doesn't have anything to do with starting the vehicle and since I have only owned my 1st Prius for 8 days, I am not sure what the tattle tale signs are of a deteriorating battery is.

So, if it is 5yrs old or more, should I go ahead and replace it? or wait until the electronics no longer work or I get a error light on my dash?

Thanks...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would check the voltage and if it's not marginal, keep on truckin'! if a dealer installed a new battery, any dealer should be able to see that info.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's what I would do:

Keep the battery. What you have is a replacement battery installed sometime after the TSB (or recall) came out to replace the original 12V "GS" battery (identified by big "GS" letters on the front). It (the Panasonic you have) was an upgrade to the original battery. My experience with the lesser GS battery was a 10+ year service life. When I finally replaced it, I did so not because it was causing problems but just for good measure. I still have the battery and I am confident I could charge it, reinstall it and use it for who knows how much longer. The 12V battery is only used to boot up the computers and run some aux functions once the car is in ready. It gets charged by the traction battery through a dc-dc converter. If it does go bad, you will see some crazy things happen in the electrical/electronic system that are unexplainable (ie: check engine lights that come up for no reason or other warnings). The strain or demand on the 12V is minimal which normally results in longer life.

You can go here (http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home), register your VIN and find out any service history, done by dealers (which would hopefully include your battery replacement date).

Welcome to the proud Gen I community.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 'seat of the pants' test for the 12v battery is to press power without foot on the brake twice and see how fast the power windows work, then press with foot on brake and see if it is faster.

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great advice for a Gen II but, he has a Gen I (no power button).

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hooked up to a decent digital multi-meter a healthy 12 volt should be showing around 12.6 volts or a bit higher: 12.7~12.75. If it's ailing it'll be around 12.4~12.5, or lower. Also, a freshly charged battery will give falsely high readings: you want to drive it around a bit first before checking, maybe with headlights on.