1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Laura G., Sep 18, 2018.

1. Laura G.

Laura G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 12v triggers HUM alerts, a couple of times a week: your battery is yellow, your battery is red. I bring up the diagnostic screen, and it looks normal. Only once, was there a problem, and the diagnostic said 9.9. But after I drove it for 30 minutes, it was 14.2 again.

I understand that unlike the battery in my old TR, there is no maintenance to be done on these. I was thinking I needed to check fluid level, and it would be fine.

So, now I'm looking for a battery. One place asked me if the car was keyless entry. Its not. He only had a battery for the keyless.

My question is: are they different batteries? When I look up batteries online, there's no question about keyless. Why couldn't I use that battery in my Prius? I'm starting to worry that I won't be able to get a battery, if I can't use the same for keyless. (The only other one I found in town was also for keyless.) It'll take at least 2 weeks to get one from Honolulu- if they have one.

Please advise, in all your Prius wisdom.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do you mean by a "HUM alert"?

In at least some generations of Prius, there were models with and without keyless (smart key) entry. The ones with use more power from the battery all the while they are off (they are continually powering a radio to find out if you are nearby with a key), so they were fitted with a higher-capacity battery.

It would not hurt anything to put the higher-capacity battery in your car, if it comes to that. The question would be, would it directly fit, or would you need also (one time) to pick up the tray and hold-down that were used on the larger-battery model.

-Chap

kenoarto and Laura G. like this.
  3. Laura G.

Laura G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

4. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The battery for keyless is bigger and has 45 Ah and the other only 35 Ah.
    The bigger battery should fit in every Prius. But the part, that is holding the battery, is in cars without the keyless system about an inch smaller and must be replaced, too, when installing a bigger battery.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what year and model car are you driving?

6. Laura G.

Laura G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help. I found a local battery shop, where they knew the guy I bought my Prius from. And they were great! Got my battery replaced, $195 installed. I'm happy!

Next up- tune up!

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just curious about HUM, it's some sort of driver monitor device, emergency alert, and so on:

Verizon's Hum connected car gadget is now a teen driver's worst nightmare - The Verge

Verizon Hum - Wikipedia

The actual name is "Hum", even reading through wiki a bit I'm not sure what it stands for. Just a word, not an acronym?

#8 Mendel Leisk, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    kenoarto likes this.
  9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    9.9? I betcha your 12v is dead. Are you testing it using the Prius' computer after a
    full night's rest?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.