1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by misterdean, Nov 19, 2018.

1. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    because i have 2 batteries that show under 12v. is that not something to be concerned about? MPG was my initial concern, but my current focus is why is my car showing me under 12v on two batteries.

#21 misterdean, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought it was 12.5 volts?

3. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    those are the readings right after a slow charge, and after i drive it.

this morning on cold start was the first time i seen this battery at 11.8v.

#23 misterdean, Nov 19, 2018
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. If it was, I'd always be concerned. It's not uncommon to see a reading under 12V, especially if you're reading after a load has been applied and it's been partly drained without a recharge. It's a small battery. When you open the driver's door, the brake pump runs and drains the battery. Then you start hitting buttons to enable the service menu. That drains it some more. So you now have no way to know the resting voltage. I'd be amazed to see 12+V on the battery after that.

Never trust the readings on the service menu for checking the battery condition. Use a multi-meter and unlatch the hood by going through the passenger side door so you don't activate the brake pump. If you have two batteries that have tested good (hopefully with a proper tester), why would you think they were both bad? If you think the tester is bad, use another one.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's really low. A fully-charged, brand-new battery, fresh off a charger with "surface charge", should be flirting with 13.0.

If they have an up-to-date electronic load tester yes. Dealerships also have these, but will charge something I'd think.

Starship_Enterprius likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your foot is on the brake, it's ready mode and then off. If your foot is off the brake then it's ACC and then On. [edited to add the last few words of that line that didn't get posted the first time]
    I think that will depend on the charger.

#26 jerrymildred, Nov 19, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you are the first guy to say seeing under 12v is not a cause for concern. i know getting in to service menu uses battery but didn't think it would drop the voltage instantly from 12.3v to 11.8v.

only the used battery that was tested good by goodyear. i was really conflicted about buying a new battery when a pro tells me there is nothing wrong with the one i have. but seeing 11.9v on my service menu was spooky and i was desperate for an answer to my MPG drop.

8. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    watched the video. 13v with the volt meter, 14v with the load tester, 12.5v with the hydrometer.

three different tools. three different results. this makes my head hurt.

EDIT - i called a shop near me. they have a machine that tests volts load and CCA. will bring it in. gonna place my bet and say the battery passes all tests.

#28 misterdean, Nov 19, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll bet the CCA is a bit below spec, which is not good. A brand new battery typically will have CCA at least 20~25 above spec.

Any more details btw: what's the battery, and what charger are you using.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jerry might have been the first in this thread, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you read the voltage on the MFD service menu, you consistently see a good fraction of a volt, around 0.6 in my experience, less than what you would see at the same moment with a voltmeter on the battery. The MFD service menu is showing you a voltage measured at the MFD, which is downstream of the battery by a handful of fuse links, fuses, and connections that all have slight voltage drop. It will be dropped a little more in ON, a little less in ACC, given the different amount of current being drawn in each case..

To some, the moral is "never trust the MFD service menu!!!1!! always measure at the battery!".

To me, it's more like, use the MFD service menu whenever you want, just remember the offset. It's dependable and consistent.

-Chap

jerrymildred and 05PreeUs like this.
  11. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this makes sense and everybody seems to agree. but i think my MFD is showing more than a little difference where a brand new battery should be.

12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can think all you want, but you won't know until you measure it with a known good multimeter.

13. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spot on.

The ONLY way to test a battery.... is AT THE BATTERY. Voltage is an indication of "potential", but capacity (A-Hr) is what you really need to know. To know if a battery is good or bad, it needs to be:
    1) Fully charged (in a Prius, best done with an external source, like a charger)
    2) Load tested

Having said that, it is true that a resting voltage of 12.2v no-load measured at the battery terminals, is essentially at, or near death.

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I generally agree, but @ChapmanF makes a good point that you can interpolate the voltage from the MFD. But personally, I wish they'd never put that function in the MFD because so many people misuse it.

True if the battery has just been charged and nothing has drawn current from it. Most likely to happen on a workbench rather than in a car with the cables connected. Remember that the Prius battery isn't much more than a motorcycle battery.

For what it's worth, here's my anecdotal story. For weeks, my '05 was taking an unusually long time to charge the brake accumulator when I'd start it up. It was otherwise running fine and I was getting around 50 mpg and no codes. I thought the pump was giving out, but found out that the 12V battery was down around 8.5 volts even after driving it for a ways. Got a new battery from Toyota. Pump worked like a new one. Gas mileage stayed the same.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have needed a battery testing sticky for 15 years

05PreeUs likes this.
  16. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i know guys. i will get it done.

at least i'm not completely chasing shadows. my readings of 12.3v and 11.8v are not healthy. big question is how accurate is my MFD.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since this is your original concern I am wondering the following:

1. You have owned the car two years.
    2. You only changed the engine oil once.
    3. What is the viscosity of the newly installed oil?
    4. Are you aware mpg will decline with very cold ambient air temps vs. moderate temps.

BTW, even if you only drive 3,500 miles annually, the oil should be changed annually at minimum to get water condensation out of the crankcase.

#37 Patrick Wong, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's pretty accurate. It just accurately measures the voltage at the point where it plugs in, not the voltage upstream of the connections and fuses between it and the battery.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i have no idea what the viscosity is. i'm using mobil1 full synthetic.
    i'm in florida. very cold is not a factor.

changing oil annually is another first time hearing something like this. everything i read says go by the manual which is in miles not time frame. i also hear the manual is conservative to get people in the shop more often and if using full synthetic you can get by longer. i understand everybody has personal preferences but i definitely won't be changing annually with the amount i drive it.

this is what i'm assuming. granted, mine could be goofy. but overall i've noticed car guys tend to look down on the MFD in favor of manual testing. everything i read says it's not as accurate as tools but it is within a reasonable margin.

#39 misterdean, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  20. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota specifies 5k miles or 6 months as the minimum service interval for a G2 Prius.

Quote:
    "Miles or Months?
    Toyota recommends obtaining scheduled maintenance for your vehicle every 5,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.
    For example:
    • If you drive 5,000 miles in less than six months, you should obtain maintenance at 5,000 miles — don’t wait until six months.
    • If at six months you have driven less than 5,000 miles, you should obtain maintenance at six months — don’t wait until 5,000 miles.
    Be sure to keep an eye on your mileage so that you obtain maintenance when recommended. If you are a low-mileage driver, mark your calendar to remind yourself to obtain maintenance every six months."

Patrick Wong and Mendel Leisk like this.