1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery replaced with wrong polarity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hawkjm73, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jenny,

Wow, this is a great "happy ending" story.

I wish you took some photos of the disassembled relay/fuse box. I am very glad that your car is back in service!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Crowbar protection is exactly what you want for this sort of circuit.

Tom

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Happy to hear you had the best-case scenario happen. As a FYI, whenever you get a new battery for a Prius, fully charge it before putting it in. That saves a lot of troubleshooting if the battery is almost dead and your Prius isn't behaving any better than before the battery replacement

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    +1

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the DOME and ETCS fuses also popped without any apparent damage caused to those circuits, perhaps the ECUs drawing power from those fuses have crowbar diode protection.

dave77 likes this.
  6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SWEET!!!

Yes you were lucky, but, good for you!!!

73 de Pat KK6PD

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm amazed that Toyota in Phoenix does not stock that 100 Amp fuse, I guess I'll ask my local dealer.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Sounds like everyone who hooks up the batt backwards blows that 100A fuse everytime so you already have your crowbar up & running. But when I think crowbar I think electronic soft shut down. Nothing gets blown. It detects a problem and disconnects. Blowing fuses is well..... blowing fuses.... not crowbarring. I have never put my peeps on the wiring schematic of this vehicle's boot up circuit. Is that 100A fuse protecting the boot cpu circuit? Does the boot circuit pull that much power? How could it with such a small boot battery? Or is it protecting the main B+ line from the hybrid pack to the inverter? If it is protecting the main inverter B+ line how is the processor operating correctly enough to close the hybrid main power relay with its run voltage reversed.
    Maybe the processor must latch up with the reverse volt pulse and latch the hybrid relay momentarily but since the reverse voltage problem resides on the CPU boot side it doesn't damage the hybrid pack but maybe then the cpu is sending wrong pulse/data commands to the inverter damaging it by pulling excessive B+ current from the pack.
    There's an elegant electronic solution for this reverse polarity problem by building a voltage comparator into the cpu circuit. Wrong pol or low main boot B+ to CPU and its brain dead by not allowing a relay to close for CPU power. This protection circuit would of course be kept alive by an onboard CPU keep alive cell.Thats an easy circuit. C'mon Toyota get with it. Don't they know Americans can't tell the difference between + and - signs?

9. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jenny, you got lucky!

The really sad thing, however, is there really isn't any reason that Toyota shouldn't have designed the Prius to simply ignore a reversed battery.

Anything that is electrical and not electronic (such as incandescent lighting with mechanical switches) inherently won't care.

Any computerish electronics could easily have a built-in polarity protection diode. This goes for the audio, the MDF, all of the various control computers and the like.

Any LED based lighting can tolerate reverse biasing if it's a red or a green LED. If it's a blue or white one, it would be a simple matter to put in a polarity protection diode.

The only thing left is the power inverter feeding power into the battery. That could easily be protected by a relay or better computer control and monitoring of the voltage of the line attached to the battery (if it's negative polarity, don't even try to pump current into the battery).

I guess when you're making millions of things, every penny counts, but adding polarity protection to EVERYTHING electronic in the car would add maybe $5 - $10 to the parts cost.

sigh.

10. Kimbrie

Kimbrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Yes
    2. Yes. That fusible link box is not easy to change, by the way. Post#19 here is the only description I have seen regarding how to perform that procedure.
    3. When compared to a battery sitting by itself, the power from a donor battery where the donor vehicle is running has a greater likelihood of causing damage to the Prius inverter in a reverse-polarity situation. The voltage may be ~2+V higher and both the battery and the car's alternator can contribute current flow towards damaging the inverter.

dave77 likes this.
  12. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jenny,
    I been following this thread and hoping everything would come out fine. I know what you mean on the 12v polarity issues as I just replaced my 12v battery too. Once I disconnected the + side, I wrapped in with electrical tape so I know which is which on cable reinstallation. I work on enough vehicles to know the Prius electrical battery layout is not the greatest. Any way, it sounds like a very happy ending.

Good for you!

DBCassidy

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly.

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can someone please tell me what happened in this thread. Was it "bumped" and then the bumping post deleted or something? Jenny's long gone isn't she?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kimbrie in post #30 resurrected this thread because she apparently has a similar issue with her Prius. Her questions are embedded within that post.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh... It would help if Kimbrie would fix her post or somehow differentiate her questions/changes. Whenever I see posts like that, I skip them. It can be too difficult to sift out the changes and sometimes there are none. :(

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok I see now. Questions were embedded inside of quote. Yeah like cwerdna did, I skipped over that that. Thanks guys.:)

19. selg81

selg81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks

#39 selg81, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle: