1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery replacement as preventive maintenance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JimboK, May 21, 2008.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With 2.5 years on my car now, I'm starting to consider future inevitable service needs. The 12V battery will have to be replaced at some point, no doubt. I'd prefer not to wait until failure, but I'd rather not spend money prematurely. I've seen a smattering of reports from those who have, but I'd like to get a better sense of it (and consolidate the reports) from throughout the broader PC membership.

Who among the community has replaced their battery, or otherwise recommends it, as a preventive maintenance measure? If so, after what period of time?

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    JimboK,

I have been watching reports of 12V battery failure closely since I joined
    in Jan '08.

Four years is the generally repeated, if not actually recommended, period
    for considering replacement -- check voltage w/ ScanGuage on shutdown,
    be sensative for weird happenings in the warning lights, random turning
    on/off of wipers, etc

I'm sure the e-smart posters can add further clarity.

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    3 years on mine and no problems. If it does go, I'll call you for a jump. ;)

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since the life of a battery is unknown (precisely) I have quit worrying about it, especially in a preventive service angle. I keep a small block battery in my trunk, charge off the cars system from time to time. When I have a no start problem I can easily switch to this block battery, then solve the larger problem of a new replacement battery. A couple of years ago, I ran the car only with the block battery and it worked great!

Fostel likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the battery in my 2001 when it was six years old, as a preventive measure. However I live in an area with moderate climate and drove the car daily, hence the battery was kept in a highly-charged state.

If you live in an area that gets snow in the winter, if you don't drive the car much and hence the battery has a chance to discharge, and if you would be highly inconvenienced when the battery fails unexpectedly, then I suggest you consider replacing the battery at 4 year intervals.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did mine, replacing the original '04 [non smartkey] unit
    with the yellowtop kit from elearnaid. The old one was still
    mostly fine although its base light-load voltage seemed to be
    a little shy of 12V and definitely dipped a bit during the process
    of pre-booting the car, i.e. bringing ECUs online and running the
    brake pump and all. Rather than watch its slow demise I decided
    to get a new one, also giving more assurance of being able to
    hold up the fan hack overnight on road-trips. I've still got
    the old battery and will come up with something it can help
    to power at home.
    _H*

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say you're good for a minimum of 4 years...I changed mine at about that point after one incident of failure when using IgOn for about 15 min and getting a concensus that it was probably an early symptom of a dying battery.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [Bump]

Thanks for all the responses. Anyone else?

9. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 08 Silver Prius I selected was dead on the dealer lot. I had to stop the dumb salesman from attempting a jump start. He did not even know how to power up the vehicle. He held the power button down forever and waited for the ICE to start before releasing it on several other cars. I requested that he summon a Prius tech who jumped the vehicle and then put it on the charger for 3 hours. Because of the improper storage (car was on the lot for 3+ months), I chose to upgrade the battery to an Optima at 800 miles. I am using the original for a UPS in the house. The neg terminal was already starting to corrode (green fuzz) due to slight acid wicking around the post. On a brighter note, the tech who came to repair my car was a graduate from the tech college where I previously instructed (automotive technology). He was one of my better students in electrical and engine performance classes.

10. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think most of us universally detest stupid car salesmen! The battery seems to be less stressed on the Pri than on most cars methinks. Else why would it be so small!

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    heya jim-

we're at just over 3 years with no indication of trouble. DH says a reasonable preventive interval is 4 years. a jump pack is cheap insurance if you're worried about getting stranded, and you've got 1.5 years to stuff away the money for the battery.

12. danatt

danatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is a really good question. If you think about it, the function of the 12V battery in the Prius is different than in conventional cars. Most cars require a "starting" battery, which means they need a large amount of current for a short amount of time (to push the starter motor around). Starting batteries are specifically designed for this function (thin plates for maximum surface area, but bad for deep cycling.) See: Deep Cycle Battery FAQ (and scroll down the section titled "Starting, Marine, and Deep-Cycle Batteries")
    But I don't believe the Prius uses the 12V battery for pushing the starter motor around. It seems to me that it just powers up the electronics, and once they are powered up and the HV battery is brought online it doesn't need to do very much, and is just part of the 12V electrical system. Assuming that bringing up the electronics doesn't require much in the way of amperage, wouldn't it make sense that the 12V battery should be more like a deep cycle or marine battery than a starting battery? Anyone know anything about this, and specifically about what type of battery the 12V battery really is?

13. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't know what it is, but yes, it makes sense it is not a "starting battery" that needs to be rated by CCA (Cold Cranking Amps).

I think it might make financial sense for Toyota to just use a normal. less expensive lead acid battery.

Given the issues some people have had with stock 12v batteries, I'm thinking of some sort of upgrade for the 2008 I'm hoping to pick up on Thursday. :) Perhaps an AGM battery.

I'm planning to use a big marine battery as a buffer battery for the 12v Priups project I'm doing.

14. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    AGM is OEM in the 08. All automotive batteries are required to have a CCA and a RC (reserve capacity) rating. They help when selecting a replacement of greater or equal capacity. In the Prius, the only real upgrade is an Optima Yellow Top when replacing the original.

15. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As the battery on my early 04 was approaching 5 years of age I also did the replacement with an Optima "yellow top". It was a tougher job than any other battery replacement I've ever done, but it got done in under an hour.

16. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    this is what im doing next week. i need more power for my 12v 1000w convertor.....i like my coffee when i camp out:D

17. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    4.3 years and 127K miles on my 2004 Prius, and the battery seems fine. My dad got 7 years out of his 2000 Camry OEM battery.

Fostel likes this.
  18. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since it was dead to the point the car wouldn't power up, I would have required them to replace it BEFORE I took the car. If it was that dead, it was also probably damaged. There is no reason you should have to pay for a new battery for your peace of mind.

I am more in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It is true that unlike most cars that use the 12V to crank a starter motor, a weak 12V in a Prius may not be as obvious. I like Dr. Fusco's thoughts. If you are using the 12V with IgOn (listening to the radio while waiting for your kids :) ) and that seems to drain the battery fairly quickly, it is time to get it checked and possibly replaced. Earlier than necessary is just wasted money on your part and more stuff in the dump (after recycling the reusable stuff).

19. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can see your point, but...

Batteries tend to fail at the most inconvenient time. So, you have to factor in (what you pointed out) how much your "peace of mind" is worth.

What I do is the _FIRST_ sign that the battery is going south (dim lights, slow cranking (on a non-hybrid)), I replace it. No screwing around, no wondering how much longer it will last. I've _NEVER_ had good luck "reconditioning" a battery in any way. If it acts up, out it goes.

As for the environmental impact of replacing a car battery, as long as you return the dead battery to be recycled, you don't have much to worry about. Almost all of the lead from a battery is recycled. There is some plastic, most gets recycled, some gets thrown out, but plastic is not a big deal. Sulphuric acid is cheap and made of commonly available stuff. They probably just neutralize it with something like baking soda or lye and then get rid of it - various suphate salts aren't a big deal either.

Fostel likes this.
  20. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My 2006 is quickly approaching its 2nd birthday and if the battery makes it through the rest of the summer I'll be changing it out this fall/winter. This isn't just a Prius thing, I've done that with every car I've owned since moving here in the '80s. Anything over 2 years and you are on borrowed time as the desert heat is murder on lead/acid batteries. The problem is you never know when it will go and I would rather have the peace of mind than be stranded with a dead battery which always seems to happen at the most inopportune time.