1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery replacement option

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Paul Flanagan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Paul Flanagan

Paul Flanagan New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four

My 12v battery needs replacing. Does it absolutely have to be an AGM?
    I'm based in Zambia and getting one is pretty much impossible. I would have to import which could take ages to ship and cost a fortune. Would a deep cycle solar battery (of which there are many available here) be a reasonable alternative?

Thanks

Paul

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, given your circumstances.
    IF.....it will physically fit.
    AND.....it has a place to connect the vent tube.

BUT.....then you need to inspect it for water loss every 3 months or so......and look for corrosion in the nearby area.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the only issue would be safety in an accident. many folks here use non agm with no issue.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Just about any battery will work, though some will last significantly longer than others.

This thread will show the usable space/dimensions, and some fastening options : Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery. | PriusChat

Others have even used $20 lawn mower batteries, which may only last a year or so :

I'm using a $25 lawnmower battery for Prius 12v | PriusChat

Battery Replacement - Economy Method | PriusChat

Here is a link to a possible 'group 51' fitment option: 12v battery recommendations | Page 2 | PriusChat

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This info may be included in the links above, but this is just off the top of my head from some work I've done.

A standard Group 51 can also work (and look almost OEM) if you have some Toyota replacement parts available. I was able to get both the positive battery clamp and the negative clamp/cable from a couple 2007 Camry Hybrids while exploring a junk yard. They are essentially identical to the Gen 2 Prius components, except they use standard terminal sizes instead of JIS. They may be available from other Toyota vehicles, but I've never really looked.