12V Battery Replacement Recommendation

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tonydavid, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This thread is a little old, but I thought I'd mention a few things for others that might come here.

I have a 2010 Prius, and have replaced the 12V battery with an OEM battery from Toyota which I've then installed myself. It's very easy to do, as others have mentioned. The Prius doesn't use the 12V battery to "crank" a starter, it just powers the computer, so the 12V battery tends to last a long time. The OEM battery from Toyota -- though on the expensive side -- is a very good battery, fits perfectly, has the proper vent tube opening, and "tiny" battery posts which fit the tiny battery terminals on the cables. Another battery might not have those same battery posts.

To keep any settings from disappearing, I just connect an old 12V battery (that still has some charge left in it) to the + jump start post and to the ground under the hood. (Make sure you connect positive to the + post in the fuse box, and the negative to a ground.)

Now during COVID, since the car is not driven very often, I've added a battery maintainer and plug it in when I know the car is likely to sit for a while. And yes, the battery is still connected to the car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Resonant Resident

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doing the same as your last paragraph; no problems, with the car often sitting 4~5 days.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Those are the go-to solutions to address both the hold-over and storage issues.