1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery Replacement Recommendation

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tonydavid, Jan 8, 2021.

1. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We only can see 12.6V or above when everything is off for few minutes or open voltage (disconnected) from any load.
    OBD2 scanner can also read on ACC mode, but the car is already under some load. Healthy battery normally is always above 11.5V on ACC mode. During the startup, as long as it never drops below 10V, the car will not complain. Once at any moment drop below 10V, we often got Christmas lights or all kinds of code including ABS C1241 code, or transmission problems code.

2. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just an update from European forum (UK/Ireland and Germany forums). Most of us who have 3rd gen Hybrid (Corolla/Auris 2010-2018) in Western Europe never have issues with 12V battery even though they are already 13 years old. But most of them drive the car regularly.
    typical voltage reading in the car is 12.9V when we charge it externally and about 12.2 V after couple weeks not driven. Typical votlage reading is 12.4-12.6V most of the time under normal usages.

Mine is now 8 years old and read similar voltage since 2 years ago, 12.4-12.6V in self charging mode. Only when I charge it with LIDL 5A charger, it can reach 12.9-13.V when the charging is finish.

So, yes, the Yuasa AGM battery can last more than decade if we drive regularly and we live in mild weather or garage kept.

Spike7 and Wolverine88 like this.
  3. Spike7

Spike7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just a couple months ago I was thinking how long this battery has lasted without any issues. Tonight she refused to start for the first time . I think I'm going to replace my 2012 prius 12v battery with an OEM Toyota battery. 4 months shy of 12 years old. I'm impressed with the longevity. Never had a battery last this long in any car I've owned. Standing "O" to Toyota.

Oldwolf and ColoradoBoo like this.
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Impressive. On borrowed time for at least 7 years...

5. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow that is amazing! Looking at my maintenance records, our batteries have lasted 4-5 years before giving up the ghost.

I keep testing my wife's 2017 12-volt battery but still showing it's at 98% of life. (Lives in the garage so no extreme temps.)

Air_Boss likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ours, likewise, with Toyota, Optima and Bosch batteries in the v, and Honda, Optima, and Duracell batteries in the CRV.

An Odyssey dry cell battery in the sports car has the best longevity, so far, at 8 years and still going.

7. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My 2016 V, built late 2015, still has the OEM battery in operation. A few years ago my dealer ran a load test on it and said it passed.
    In the back of my mind, though, is the nagging feeling it could fail at any time.
    So that is why I travel with a jump starter.
    I'll probably just have the dealer install another OEM when it fails.

8. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Everyone should always have jump-starter. It costs about $50 from known brands. The OEM battery last 8-15 years depends on how regular we use the car and how hot the temperature we live. Garage kept OEM 12V Prius often last more than 10 years.

My neighbor has 2010 Prius and the 12V battery is still original at 230k miles. It burns oil for about 1Q per 8k miles, but he rarely do short trips. Mine is 8y old and everything is still original except tires.

Oldwolf likes this.
  9. Wolverine88

Wolverine88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    I always carry a booster, and I have used to help others boost their ICEs. Our 2015 v doesn't get used every day, and most of our trips are 10 minutes or less. It had some issues starting in cold for a couple winters, after mostly sitting during the covid shutdowns. I learned from these forums to use a charger, but didn't do the required maintenance. Last winter, on a -32 C / -25 F morning the car started the first time, but died when my wife turned it off at the daycare. Nothing was working, including the power locks. I called for a tow, but was told it could be 36 hours before a tow truck could come. This motivated me to figure out how to boost the v, and realized it was possible, using my booster pack. I hooked it up to the positive terminal in the fuse box under the hood, the other clamp to bare metal, and turned it on. That gave enough power to the car, and I was able to start it. In the end it was quite simple, and I cancelled the tow.

In the spring, at 178K km / 111K miles, I replaced the original Toyota battery with an OEM Yuasa S46B24R equivalent from Sask Battery. (Hat tip to @Mendel Leisk for suggestion.) I never tested the original, but did notice improved mileage after installing the new battery. I will keep my eye out for a battery tester on sale.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What was the cost from SaskBattery? Was it still GST only, free shipping and no core charge?

(The latter wouldn't really work for mail order, anyway. What I eventually did when buying through Saskbattery was drop off the old one at a nearby dealership, where we'd bought our '10. I think they get some sorta bounty for them, win-win.)

11. Wolverine88

Wolverine88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    The price in February this year was $239.50 +GST, shipping to Alberta included. There was no mention of a core charge, and I took the old battery to the municipal recycling depot. Perhaps SaskBattery doesn't have the core charge, since they can not accept batteries for return.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III

A perfect example of just what a ripoff the only dealer here on Guam is.
    They want $600 for the same battery, so I use Optima yellow tops instead.

gggGary likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I figured they don’t want to absorb another shipping charge, just for recycling, isn’t practical.

14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Still have my OEM running in my 2016 V.
    2024 will start year 9 of operation.
    I checked my dealers online price for the TrueStart 84 and found that it is on sale for a phenomenal price of $160 + tax and core.
    I think I will go ahead and order one at that price.

15. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I was incorrect. $160 includes tax!

16. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four

17. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Turns out the OEM Toyota batteries for the V are made in Japan.

18. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You can get original Yuasa battery from Autodoc or Amayama. I bought one for €180 few months ago from autodoc and it is made in Japan.
    Use Google shopping to search. It often shows a good price

19. ClydeSDale

ClydeSDale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My 2017 v four no longer has a garage to stay warm in so when I was in for a recent dealer oil change I asked about a battery replacement quote. When he stated just south of $500 I dropped my jaw, commented on how proud they must be of OE and said I guess I would do it myself. This service advisor went into a song and dance about how hybrids need a special battery and it requires a vent. I replied that I knew it was an AGM and I knew the equivalent Yellow Top was set up for venting. He lost all credibility continuing his pitch until I gave him the "Talk To The Hand" signal.
    I don't mind paying a little extra for OE but refused to be abused. Fascinated to hear about the EverStart option. I've had good luck with those batteries as long as they were fresh. Thanks for the tip Sergio!

gggGary likes this.
  20. Centerpunch

Centerpunch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My original 8 year old battery in my low mile 2017 finally gave up the ghost a few days ago on a 5 degree morning.

I was looking at $250-$300 batteries at Autozone, Advance, etc., but then went to the Toyota site online, searched for the oem battery, placed the order, will pick it up at my local dealer a couple miles away, total cost with discounts was under $200, including tax.

Toyota Genuine Parts | Toyota.com

Update: 30 minutes after I placed the order, I got an email saying the battery was ready to be picked up.

#100 Centerpunch, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    gggGary and Oldwolf like this.