1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery - Voltage Variation between Posts and Diagnostic Screen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rocky Mountain Priusman, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Rocky Mountain Priusman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am trying to determine if I need a new 12v before winter on my 2010 Prius. The battery in my car is "Toyota" brand - see attached pic (does this mean it is original?), but they failed to mark the date purchased on the battery so I have no idea how old it is. I've owned the car for two years.

I am getting some strange results testing voltage. My multimeter reads 15.8-16.1 volts reading directly at the battery posts after the car had been sitting off overnight. With the car off through the diagnostic/ vehicle signal menu on screen it reads about 11.1 volts, or down to 10.8 with the headlights on. So far I've had no troubles with the car, just dont want to get stranded in the winter. Also don't want to waste money on a new battery if I dont need one. Any ideas why the multimeter voltage at the posts would be so high?

Attached Files:

2. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem recently and found I needed a new battery in the multimete. With a new battery in the meter readings fell int a normal range.

CR94 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Put the car in ready mode get out and go back and measure across the positive and negative terminal again what do you have? Should be like 13.7 to 14.5 somewhere in there. Sitting 8 hours and showing 16 volts on the battery I'm wondering if your multimeter or testing instrument needs a battery or there's something wrong with it 3 volts overcharge does not do good. Take your multimeter to another 12 volt battery maybe one that's sitting in a friend's car or something and measure across its positive and negative terminal If you're still getting 16 volts I would say there's something wrong with your meter I don't know of any car that's going to charge the battery to 16 volts regulators and everything stop happening now it is possible that the charging circuit from the HV battery has gone amiss but usually it would undercharge I wouldn't think it would over that battery should be getting warm you should be smelling battery in the back of your car. Yes that battery may be original or by the looks of the car it's probably been maintained at the Toyota dealer a quick scan of your cars VIN . May tell you who maintained it Good luck

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't trust that multimeter as far as I could throw it. 12 volt batteries just don't show that kind of resting voltage. As another poster has suggested, maybe the multimeter's own battery could use replacement.

My experience with the vehicle signal check screen is it tends to read half a volt or so lower than you would see at the battery posts. So I would take that as a reading a bit below 12 at the posts, well short of fully charged, so giving that battery a good long visit with a charger might not be a bad thing.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it might be under the strap, but there should be a date code.

might be the original battery, idk if you could ever buy a replacement toyota, they are usually tru start at the dealer.
    both made by yuasa, iirc.

6. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it is quite likely that my multimeter batteries are dead and giving me a wrong reading. Thanks for everyones comments.

7. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay I changed the battery in my multimeter and the reading I got at the posts was 12.38v. This is after the car sat for about 6 hours. I may look at replacing it sometime soon as winters get very cold here and I have no idea how old the battery is.

Moses62, CR94 and bisco like this.