1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, it's time! After 3 years the GII I had required 12V battery servicing (shown by low voltage after sitting overnight). I was able to add distilled water to that battery, after peeling the label off.

So today I connected a temporary 12V battery to the boost point in the GIII (Pearl S) and removed the 12V battery in the rear, as it's showing rather low voltage after sitting overnight. Down around the 10V range! Panic time. ;) Winter is coming.

Took it inside and pealed the label off. Yup, the manufacturer doesn't want me to add water. They -glued- a plastic cover over the fill caps. Well, being well trained by my economical friend, I broke the darn plastic off to get at the caps. :) Several cells had the electrolyte down below the plates. It always seems to be the end cells first. Not sure why, in a "sealed" battery.

Before doing anything I had connected my high tech battery tester and it indicated it was at "20%".
    I added distilled water until all cells had liquid well above the plates. There is no indication of how much to fill (because you are supposed to just buy another one) so I was kind of flying by the seat of my pants.
    Put the battery on constant voltage charge at 13.8 V and it started at about 15 A, but after 10 min. or so it was down to 2.5 A. I let it charge for about 30 min. to "stir" the electrolyte and put it back on the tester. It read "70%".

Left it on charge, and will test it in a few hours and put it back in the car. I'm also watching for leakage current once it's fully charged. That indicates cells are shorted by sulphate buildup and chunks of lead that can fall off the plates once they age too much.

With the GII I could say it's a good idea to do the "add water" exercise (that GII battery lasted -7 years-).
    With the GIII battery I think it best to just replace, unless you are -very- comfortable messing with lead acid batteries.

I'm impressed with how much easier it is to replace the battery in the GIII. In the GII you have to move the Traction Battery vent tube. The GIII battery just lifts out after the clamps are removed.

After a few hours the charge current was down to 1A. I didn't want to leave the car with the temporary battery connected too long, so I reinstalled it. On test it still indicates "70%". This is a "Pulse battery Tester", and so far, seems to give pretty accurate results. At least when it says the battery is ok it doesn't seem to fail at the "worst time" (which is when they always do). ;)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Aren't you supposed to keep charge rate around 4 amps?

#2 Mendel Leisk, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  3. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I'm still on my original 12V battery....

5. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    AGM batteries are "absorbed glass mat". That is, the electrolyte is "held" in a glass mat. It's still the same electrolyte. Adding water works just fine, as proven with Pearl, when I added water in 2010. That battery finally failed early this year, after 7 years of use. As I mentioned above. The funny part is there was liquid electrolyte -above- the plates/glass mats when I pulled off the caps on the 2012 battery, on three cells. This battery uses rubbery caps that sit over a tube that sticks up from the top of the top cover (in the channel made for them, and covered by the glued on clear plastic). They allow pressure to escape, but they don't allow air back in (they all held a slight vacuum when I removed them, releasing the vacuum with a soft "whoosh"). That channel is vented by the vent tube all Prius 12V batteries have. Well, it sounds like the G4 may not have it, as I hear that 12V battery is under the hood.

This morning, my voltage was at 11.8V before I put it in "ready". Nice change from down around 10V.

And no, I won't be "stranded", as I'm looking after my lead acid 12V battery.

Check your battery voltage first thing in the morning, Tideland, before you put it in "ready". If it's below 11V it's probably getting close to "time". ;)

You could check to see which construction it uses. Just peel back the label to see. Pearl's battery had a long plastic cap over the channel that just pulled off (not glued). Under that was the channel with individual "caps" that could be pulled off with pliers, and distilled water added. I use a piece of tubing, which I immerse in the distilled water, hold my finger over the top end, and remove, allowing me to place the bottom end over the cell and remove the finger, dropping a small amount of water into the cell. Better control of how much is added, and much easier to avoid covering the entire hole with water so it won't enter.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine is 13.0 after 3 1/2 years. she gets babied though, except when i leave her for 5 weeks in winter, tough love.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    11.8 volt is still very low, is it not? An in-the-pink battery will be 12.6 or higher. Again, the battery top, and the owner's manual too I think, caution to charge around 4.2 amp:

Capture.JPG

The warning about not taking the cover off might be their lawyers talking, not sure.

You might want to try one of those electronic battery testers, that assess cranking amps. I just got the Solar BA5, says I'm ok:

What type of battery is our 12 V accessory? | PriusChat

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that charging current is naturally limited to a reasonable value, like 4 amps in this case, based on a battery's size, if charging at a reasonable fixed voltage, as in the car. A severely discharged battery will briefly accept more, as illustrated above. The limits you quote apply to chargers that can apply higher voltages than the Prius 12V system (or a properly regulated conventional alternator) does.

"Cranking amps" are practically irrelevant to Prius usage.

9. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can do a minor mod to the battery tray to install a group 25 battery.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I understand that, but still: thinking cranking amps are a good measure of a battery's health. What I mean, if it's as-measured cranking amps are low, it could be on it's last legs.

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's likely correct, as long as we're comparing to expected performance for the same model battery. A deep-cycle battery in good condition is likely to have less cold-cranking current than a starting battery of the same physical size and same A-hr capacity. When I was shopping for a battery, I noticed some brands of supposedly Prius-specific battery have specifications identical to AGM Group 51 starting batteries of the same brand; only the terminals and venting differ.

12. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Aftermarket Prius batteries are group51 with JIS terminals. Some auto stores only carry group 51 in JIS posts and include JIS to SAE post rings.

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True with some brands, with the qualifier that only AGM models are (or should be) marketed as "Prius batteries." Anyway, the fact that substantially ordinary starting batteries can be used in a Prius deflates the popular myth that Prius batteries are radically smaller than all batteries for non-hybrids. Unlike non-hybrids, a Prius can, and probably should, use a battery designed for deep-cycle service.

14. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There have been many "assumptions" in the replys.

I use a "pulse battery tester". I referred to it as "my high tech battery tester". In my many years of testing batteries I have found you have to match the tester to the application.

A "starter battery" is best tested with a load tester. The Prius 12V battery IS NOT a "starter battery". CCA has NO meaning to a Prius. A high value indicates the manufacturer put in heavy intercell connections. Or lied. As the Prius only draws about 50A from the 12V battery, and only does so for a second or so, a high CCA value is not needed.

A battery intended for electronics power supply "off the grid" needs to be a deep-cycle type. These generally don't do well if used for cranking an engine, but do very well at lower current loads, such as the Prius. The Prius CAN use a starter battery, but doesn't need the CCA ability. A high CCA value -may- make the battery "better", but most likely will have no meaning in a Prius application.
    A deep-cycle or non-starter battery is best tested with a pulse battery tester. I include gell cell batteries in this group. My pulse tester was sold to me by a company that specializes in alarm systems and such. It was selected by them to offer to this group of customers because it is the best testing device currently available for the batteries they use.
    BTW, while the Prius 12V battery was removed from the car I used a gel cell 10A-hr 12V battery sold as an alarm system battery, to keep my settings intact.

While "servicing" my Prius lead acid battery, I used a digital voltmeter, directly connected to the battery. Its' accuracy has been confirmed in various ways.
    Once in the car, all voltage readings are from the Scanguage II. Remember, it reads the voltage on the OBD port, which is at least 20 ft from the 12V battery. Without doing a research project, I have to "assume" (we all know what that means, right?) the reading from it is accurate. But I'm only using the readings as a comparison, so it really doesn't matter. Before service, the 12V battery read around 10V after sitting overnight, and before the car was turned "on". After servicing, it reads 11.8V. To me, this indicates the battery is "better", and probably "ok" for a few more years.

Finally, the charge current. The battery label does indeed indicate you are to use no more than 4A charge current. The -reason- for that is they don't want you to cause a large amount of gassing to come out of the battery. For whatever reason (you can't replace the water lost, you might dislodge the caps, etc). Starting the charge at 10 to 15A, which then very quickly tapers down to 3A IS NOT going to harm anything. In fact, it may clear off the plates (dislodge sulphate buildup), but must, of course be done -carefully-. I assure you, I WAS -very- careful. In the car, I would bet money that this same higher current happens. I have noticed, ever since I first got Pearl S, that after sitting overnight, the 12V system voltage runs around 14-14.5V for the first 20-30 min., then drops to around 13.5-13.8V. After servicing the battery I see this same behavior. I'm guessing this is the "smarts" built into the inverter battery charger. Charge the battery back up, then go to "float" voltage.

An interesting note, that while charging, the power supply I used was one I built that has both voltage and current limits settable from the front panel. I attempted to vary the charge current, trying to take it higher than the 2.5 A it was running after about 10 min, by increasing the output voltage. The current stayed pretty constant (the limit was set to about 15 A), even when I turned the output voltage up to 15.5V. I've seen this before while charging batteries of various types, but thought it WAS interesting.

CR94 likes this.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not totally off topic, I've got the oem battery from my 06' filled with water and starting my lawn mower, needs a charge every six months, works for me.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like you know your stuff David. Yeah, I was purely echoing what's on the label.

Hey: any opinion on the Solar BA5 tester, or similar models? I picked one up and have tried it. It's saying our battery is in good shape, coming up on 5 years old now, no spring chicken. Just curious if you have any thoughts on how it's doing it's test, the validity and so on.

#16 Mendel Leisk, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right. A high CCA value (relative to physical size and mass) also means "the manufacturer put in" many thin plates, vs. fewer thick ones (as needed in a deep-cycle battery). Because, as you say, "the Prius CAN use a starter battery," several manufacturers take advantage of that fact to sell them as Prius batteries. That saves them tooling and design cost, but isn't ideal.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will do, thanks! I've already noticed that the wipers are slower in IG-ON than in READY.

19. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It appears to be a low cost pulse tester (they call it a "conductance tester"). Can't comment on how good it is. If it works, I'd say it's good. By "works" I mean if it says a battery is good, and over the next few years that battery IS ok, then it works. ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That effect will be noticeable even with a healthy battery, although not as obvious as with a tired battery.

Tideland Prius likes this.