1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V connection in engine compartment

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by KAH, Jan 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KAH

KAH New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I need to attach a 12V device in my 2012 Prius, but in the engine compartment rather than at the auxiliary battery in the back. I understand that for jump starting, there is a positive terminal in the front fuse box and that the negative should should be attached to the engine block. But does this also provide 12V power? Unfortunately I need the power all the time, not just when the ignition is on.

Is there any possibility of doing this?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, but make sure there's a fuse in-line with the power you're taking! (…you know it makes sense! :rolleyes:)

3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, but you’ll probably drain the 12V, it’s not designed for 24 hour use. The battery only supplies the 12-14.5 volts temporarily to initiate “ready” Its a totally different battery with about a 38 ampere rating.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are two good options for 12v constant power available in the engine fuse box. In the picture, there are two open terminals at the back of the fuse box, seen with two push on connectors with red wires. In addition, at the front corner of the fuse box, there is a bolt that you can put a ring terminal under, seen here in the picture with the cover opened, it's the 10mm bolt to the right of the heavy gauge white wire, just below the small screwdriver. 1516493063275.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

darelldd, kc410 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring