1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V down to 6V - door ajar but dome lights off - what caused the drain?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Aug 13, 2013.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I touched up the rear passenger door and left it open to dry for a few days. I turned off both dome lights. Now it's drained down to somewhere above 6V. What caused the drain? The door open indicator light?

BatterMinder is too smart to charge the drained battery. A Sears 2A charger brought it up to ~ 11V in about an hour. In IG ON mode the inverter coolant pump and brake accumulator pump both sounded weak. PriiDash showed battery down to ~ 8V. Drove about an hour to work. Now in IG ON mode the inverter coolant pump sounded normal. PriiDash showed 12.1V. During the drive to work the charging voltage still dropped down to ~ 13.5V even though the battery was very weak. I turned on the parking lights to bump it up above 14V.

By the way the car still remembers the radio presets. I suppose if the computer runs on 5V then 6V is still enough to keep it alive.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Surprisingly although the OEM battery clearly states on it's label maximum charge rate 4.5 amps, the Prius charging system does not limit the charge rate to anywhere near this level.
    Having done some testing in this area I have recorded charge rates of over 50 amps with a battery at a 30% discharge level and in continuing test am seeing even higher levels of charge . This sort of charge rate can boil off the acid from the plates making matters worse.
    There have been many reported instances "not on PC only one to my knowledge" of the much vaunted Optima battery failing through such treatment and I am convinced one of the reasons why the OEM battery seems to become very week after being deeply discharged, even though in theory it is a deep cycle battery being an AGM.
    I am convinced it is using the cars own charging system to recover a discharged battery that actually does the damage.
    The reason for the discharge in the first instance could be the red lights mounted in the lower door panels as you cannot turn these off.

John (Britprius)

2009Prius likes this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for the comments! Maybe I shouldn't have turned the parking lights on while driving to work. When I get some time I can open up the battery and look if much water is lost.

I don't remember "the red lights mounted in the lower door panel". The two front doors have courtesy lights but I thought the rear doors don't. Am I wrong?

4. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Maybe the puddle lights were on? Or the under dash? You can't really see them during the day...

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ^^^ Thats the word I was looking for "Puddle" lights.

John (Britprius)

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No red lights (or any other kind) in my rear doors here. Those lights are only in the front doors.

Sometimes when I want to air out my Prius, I leave it all day with the rear doors and the hatch open. I've not had any issues draining the battery so far. I never leave the front doors open like this, because I know the foot-well lights can drain the small battery, but I've never had that problem with either the rear doors or the hatch.

2009Prius, it looks like your poor battery was so weak it was drained by the ECUs. Patrick Wong once mention here that the some ECU's come out of standby state whenever any door is opened, so the quiescent current drain increases, but I still thought it was a reasonably small current.

2009Prius likes this.
  7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That must be a regional difference in models or something. I can swear that those lights are only on the front doors in my Prius.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just put the BatteryMinder on to leave it on overnight, even though in the past I haven't seen much change with 2~3 days of "conditioning".

Update: Leaving the BatteryMinder overnight and it hasn't gone into "conditioning" mode yet - different from what it used to be. Will continue tonight.

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Update: this evening it took less than 2 hrs for the BatteryMinder to enter "conditioning" mode - the battery seems to be back to "normal" now.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why didn't you connect the batteryminder to the car when it was sitting there?

And sadly the battery is probably now toast.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your battery tender is happy with it, I'd speculate it'll be ok for a while, but events like this tend to shorten it's life.

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Laziness LOL. I thought of it but then thought maybe turning the dome lights off was enough. Lesson learned. Another lesson learned was obviously to look around before backing out of the garage - don't get absentminded like I did.

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I will keep it and see how long it would survive. Stay tuned.

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi 2009. Try driving it as normal for a few weeks (no other charging) and then perform the MFD inspection mode test. It would be interesting to see the acc/ig-on/ready mode voltages after it's been sitting over night.

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I actually did the test yesterday after the car had been parked at work all day. The measured voltages with headlights on and with both headlights and rear defrost on were identical to the voltages measured a year ago at the same temperature. So I think my battery has been too weak to be made even weaker. ;)

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Here is the 12V data collected during several trips before and after the drain event.

[​IMG]

In each trip the car was first put in IG-ON mode to record the 12V voltage and then in READY mode to record the charging voltage during driving. Clearly the battery was still very weak after charging at 2A for about an hour (the red curve) - barely above 8 V in IG-ON mode. Interestingly the Prius seemed to know about this and provided higher than usual charging voltages in both the high and the low charging modes. At the end of that trip the battery seemed mostly topped off since the following trip at the end of the day (the green curve) had charging voltages dropped almost back to normal baseline levels. (This also unfortunately confirms what John (Britprius) said earlier that the car charges the battery at a much higher rate than the rated max charging current of 4A.) The next trip (the purple curve) was after leaving the BatteryMinder on overnight and the charging voltages went back to normal. (Just to be clear, I don't think the BatteryMinder did any magic other than just topped off the battery, since it hadn't entered the "conditioning" mode at that point.)

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the informative results and confirmation of the figures I have recorded. This gives extra data points from another vehicle other than my own helping to rule out the possibility of a problem with my charging system.

John (Britprius)

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have you the ability to monitor charging current on your trips to work? Perhaps even discharging the battery with the headlamps in ignition on mode for say ten minutes before making the car ready to give a partial discharge recharge test.

John (Britprius)

19. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No not really. I need a shunt resistor to measure voltage drop across it.

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info 2009. Just one question about the graph, is the time scale accurate?

The reason I ask is that I notice that it clearly captures the two state nature of the Prius charging system, with the characteristic drop of about 0.6 volts (under certain conditions) after you've been driving for a while. In my case that 0.6V transition happens after about 20 to 25 minutes (1200 to 1500 seconds). By the looks of your graph it's happening after a mere 100 seconds in some cases?