1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Ports Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't see anything pertaining to my question in the owner's manual, so maybe someone can fill me in.

In my 2008 there are (2) 12V ports - the first in the center console, and the second under the dashboard on passenger side. What I'd like to know is...

Are both of these ports being powered by ONE source, or separate sources? For example...

If the max watts allowed to be pulled before blowing a fuse is 120, does that mean that EACH port can pull 120 watts while being used at once, or can each port only pull 60 watts?

I'd like to power a 12V fridge in one port (which will be running all day & night mostly), and then use the other port to charge my cell phones, laptop, etc. intermittently throughout the day.

If someone smarter than me can explain this like you would to a 17 year old I'd appreciate it.

P.S. - Per the suggestions in a post from last month, I decided to purchase the Autel MaxiAP AP200. Thankfully, I have no need to use it as my Prius is running flawlessly, but it's nice to know I'm covered if something should fail in the future. I appreciate all of your input. Happy Thanksgiving!

[​IMG]

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    120 watts for each one. Maybe the owners' manual doesn't say a lot about it, but I'm pretty sure there's a fuse diagram/list in there and you'll see two separate fuses.

Both ports are powered only when the car's in ACC mode or higher (and depleting the 12 volt battery in any mode except READY).

If I remember right, you'll see one of those fuses will be a 10 amp (times 12 volts, there's 120 watts for you) and the other slightly larger, as it might be shared by a few other things in the car that are powered in ACC.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't see how the 12V battery in Prius can support 5-10 amps overnight without going "dead".

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me clarify...I live in my car, and spend almost all day in it (aside from using a shower, rest room or going into a store for an hour or two daily). I also work virtually from the vehicle. So, the car runs almost all day long. And always in READY mode, because I'm usually using the climate control. So...

How would the car go dead exactly? Or did you mean if I was pulling 5-10 amps and it WASN'T in ready mode?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, he was thinking if the car was not in READY.

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A power outlet mod. Add a solar panel to maintain your battery as well as run the fridge as a suggestion.

https://www.coastaletech.com/power_outlet_mod.htm