12v Question / Infrequent Driving

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-Current)' started by cnm11201, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As others have said, the dealer will rip you off.

These are really easy to use. A 'permanent' installation for a plug in one just means finding a spot under the hood where the clips can reach the battery while being as far as possible from the engine and exhaust. Then use cable ties, tape, velcro, mini bungees, etc. to keep it place.

Solar one can be a little trickier. You can't use one that plugs into the 'lighter' outlet, as new cars turn that off when shut down. So it means making connections to the interior fuse panel, or running wire through the firewall. If uncomfortable doing yourself, a stereo installation place should do it for far less than the dealer would.

But I don't think you will need one, and there is at least one reason to wait before installing one. New 12volt batteries can be defective, and they should be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. Using a battery tender can mask the fact that the battery is defective until outside the coverage period.

If you can't risk getting stuck with a dead battery, a jump starter battery pack can looked into. You won't need one powerful enough to start a V8, and they can be used as back up power for phones and tablets. Ran a laptop off mine for a good chunk of time once.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would consider a jump starter to be just as important as a spare tire.

Oops.....maybe not the best example. :D

(I've never bought a car without a proper spare - and probably never will!)

3. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My ~$20 front mounted 10 watt solar panel is very simplistic in both mounting and electrical hookup, it has worked perfectly since it was mounted.

Best case scenario = it adds a slight 12v charge* per 24 hour period.

Worse case scenario = it hold its own, meaning no 12v loss* per 24 hour period.

Rob43

* It needs to be parked outside in daylight conditions for at least a few hours per day.

4. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you can tie your shoes...you can do this.

Rob43

thumbnail_(19)_-_Edited.png

thumbnail_(18)_-_Edited_(2).png

5. cnm11201

cnm11201 New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That's a great point about masking a defective battery. I already have a jump starter battery pack in my current car which I'll be moving over to the new one.

You should see my shoes ;)

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your call....but here's the thing.
    If you take your car out for a spin once a week this just SHOULD NOT be a problem otherwise you should seriously reconsider the decision to buy the car....or perhaps ANY car.
    Any car that cannot be parked for a week at a time between even short drives is what we automotive enthusiasts often call...a piece of crap.

But....I get it.
    Some people do not like to DIY.

Here's what I would do if I woke up in your shoes:

1. Give you your shoes back.

2. If you're GOING to buy a new Toyota, buy the new Prime. Even if you never charge the traction battery, the incentives will pay you back in higher resale value.

2.1 Drive the Prius for an hour or two, and then put a reminder in your iPhone to think about all of this in about a month.

2.2 (IMPORTANT!!) post pictures in PriusChat.

3. Go to the Amazons and get an automotive jump pack for about $60. You do NOT need something capable of cold cranking a Mack truck.

4. Charge it.....and read the instruction manual both for the charger AND for jump starting a dead Prius Prime.
    Put the jump starter in a storage compartment in your car and set a reminder in your phone to check on the charge level in about 6 months.

Repeat step 4 above varying the periodicity more or less depending on the state of charge for your jump pack after 6 months.

Good Luck!

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you are comfortable with jump starting a car with that, you can install a battery maintainer.:)

Installing a solar one becomes tricky because you need to find point to hook it up in the cabin, or find a spot to run a wire through the fire wall to the battery. For a permanent install, you'll also want to hide the wires. I say that assuming a solar powered battery maintainer's panel isn't intended to be left out in the elements.

@Rob43 system above was DIY using a panel that can go outside. I think there is a thread covering how he did it.

A simple solution, if you are still uncomfortable doing it yourself and don't need a permanent installation, is to get a solar maintainer that can plug into a 12v outlet, and have a car stereo place install an outlet hooked up be on when the car is off under the dash. Then you can plug the maintainer into that, and through the panel on the dash while parked.

8. cnm11201

cnm11201 New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hehe, great points. I do have a jump pack already, and do remember to charge it.

9. thymara

thymara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    5 days ago I drove my Prime 412 Km, all gasoline as no EV available. Today my 12-volt battery was at 12.3 and, since the preferred limit is 12.4, I've charged the battery. Had I known when I bought the Prime that i was going to have to charge the battery every 5 days I'd have acquired something else. Not only do I have a trickle charger but I also have a jump pack. I have the trickle charger because I had a V but Prius is the only vehicle I've ever owned, and I've had my share of 6, 8 cylinder models from multiple manufacturers, that I've had to resort to the extremes required to guarantee the Prime will not leave me stranded thanks to a 12-volt battery problem.

This situation is just plain nuts.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Something that would earn Toyota some brownie points:

Have in the car a flash drive that stores all currently volatile memory, and automatically/seamlessly disconnect the 12 volt whenever the car is turned off, or at least make that a user selectable option. Subsequently when starting the car, it would quickly reconnect the battery first.

A disconnected battery is way more resilient, has next to no loads.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What powers the reconnection?;)

With increased hybridization of the fleet, Hyundai's solution on the Ioniq is more likely. A portion of the traction battery is used instead of a separate 12volt. If it is ever too low to start the car, you push a button, and it gets a quick charge from the rest of the traction pack.

benagi, thymara and Mendel Leisk like this.