1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Question / Infrequent Driving

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by cnm11201, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the first time I removed the 12v battery on CRZ, I successfully managed to keep the radio setting using the battery memory saver via OBDII port. Then, the second time I did it, I must have let the battery terminal shorted during removal, which turned off the OBDII connected power source, thus a need for a radio code.

VIN number and the serial number of the radio onto the Honda Radio code site... I thought that would do it. Well, the Honda site returned 16 possible radio code for the car. Trying the code one at a time, after 3 strikes, the radio locks out. I had to remove the battery terminal again and wait 10min to reset internal memory. Try again... one code at a time. After the third try, we finally found a code that worked. Yap, I made sure to write it down and save it in the glove box for future needs. LOL

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With a Canadian Civic, I was SOL for that Honda radio code website, flakey or not. I idly wonder if there's even ONE INSTANCE where that effing radio code thwarted a thief. Or if anyone's EVER stolen the proprietary Honda radio...

jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to look up the radio code for my 2008 HCH when I had to change the 12v battery toward the very end of my ownership. The battery was OEM 12v battery from Japan almost 10 years old, when I had to replace it due to weakening (aka dying) IMA traction battery. I changed the 12v battery on my older regular 1998 Civic before HCH, but don't remember fiddling with the radio code. Neither car had a very attractive in-dash radio. Stealing in-dash radio is a thing of the past.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We digress, but, in my best Yosemite Same voice, "Radio codes is so stoopid!" It's like the engineers must have had a contest to see who could come up with the most diabolical way to screw with the customers.

As for weak hybrids, there's an idea whose time never came. LOL! I'd heard of them but not to that level of detail. Makes me all the more appreciative of Toyota's engineering decisions.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You'll being seeing more weak hybrids on the market. We already have the Ram truck.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, the Honda CRZ's IMA (parallel hybrid) is the only hybrid vehicle with manual transmission. Is it possible to make a manual transmission Prius (power-split hybrid)?

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The original Insight had manual in the beginning, and maybe the gen Civic hybrid. In theory, a strong parallel hybrid could work with a manual. Power-split systems replace the traditional transmission, so a manual wouldn't work.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    [ deleted ]

#48 dbstoo, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021