1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Solar Battery Charger

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by zenMachine, Aug 13, 2007.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone used this battery charger in a Prius, or any car for that matter?

http://www.cetsolar.com/batterybudd.htm

[attachmentid=10602]

The Solar Panel is a 1.8 watt (minimum) weather proof module with a 2 year warranty.

A Built in LED light indicates when the panel is charging. A Blocking Diode limits the charging direction to one way only.

There is also an inline fuse for complete safety. Also included is 10 feet of charging cable with a male connector at one end.

By attaching the Solar Panel to the wind screen and plugging in the cigarette lighter socket will allow you to charge the vehicle's battery while driving or parked.

Attached Files:

2. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

3. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Someone told me that all Volkswagens come to the US with a similar solar panel, and the dealer usually has lots of them sitting around and if you are really nice they might give you one. Maybe you can go for a test drive and get a free solar panel to keep your 12v battery charged! It would probably work well just sitting on the trunk floor.

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

That is correct, VW's are shipped with a 3 and or 5 watt solar panel with suction cups and it plugs right into the obdII connector, it also has the diode in it too.

I bought mine off ebay for 15.00 it is in the ev to keep the 12 volt batt. up.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought one, hooked up the alligator clips to the 12v, hooked it up momentarily, disconnected it and have never hooked it up again....that was about 3 1/2 years ago.

It'll work to maintain the charge (I think), not sure it could recharge a dead battery. I have my windows fairly darkly tinted, so that might decrease the output (input?) of the charger...something to keep in mind.

6. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Aug 14 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]495429[/snapback]</div>
    That's odd..The one that came with my Passat plugged into the lighter..Guess they had different versions..

John

7. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Aug 15 2007, 07:06 AM) [snapback]496053[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a link to one on ebay: I have one just like it but I cut the obdII connector off and put ring terminals on and right to the battery

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-12v-Auto...sspagenameZWDVW

8. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Aug 15 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]496070[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting..It looks just like mine with the exception of the cord..But the size, color ect is all the same..Wonder why they changed? Maybe this was for a model who's ciggy lighter turned off with the key..My car stays hot..

John