1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V voltage low and then hybrid system malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Poa, May 6, 2020.

1. Poa

Poa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today after drove around town and then stop to pick up lunch, my 16 prius displayed 12V voltage low and not able to start. after a few tries, the 12v battery went complete dead. After I jumped start the prius, I can drive but there are "hybrid system malfunction" and "low brake power" messages popped up.
    Would replace the 12V battery cure this?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Possibly. The odds are pretty good.
    At any rate, it IS the first thing that you should do.

Mendel Leisk and Poa like this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First thing I'd do is take the 12V to a battery shop and see if it can be revived (brought back to life). Don't jump to the conclusion the battery is "dead" and needs to be replaced. That's a lot of money on a hunch. See if it can be re-habilitated first.

Elt31987 likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Contrary to "marketing hype" from charger makers, once a lead acid battery is "worn out", it can NOT be recovered.

Now.....if it is simply low on charge and hasn't been left sitting that way too long, it might just need a recharge.
    Might.

Also not mentioned yet in this thread......it also could be a loose or corroded connection at one of the 4 "main" battery cable connection points.