1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$1300 to replace fuel level sending unit??!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GKinslow, Oct 22, 2018.

1. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've belatedly come to the conclusion the 2007 Prius base with 65K miles was no bargain at all. First, the battery pack went out within weeks of my February 2018 purchase, and now the dash display unit and fuel level sending unit quit. Total bills for this $7000 bargain thus far are approximately $6200.

Lucky for me I had bought an extended warranty from my credit union, and the selling dealership actually coughed up the payment for the battery, so all repairs have been covered with the exception of the fuel level sending unit, for which I'm now on the hook for about $1300 if the dealer repairs it. This is ridiculous! As the Houston dealer describes it, the sending unit, primary fuel pump AND the fuel tank are one integral unit and the replacement of one means they all get replaced. Warranty covers the pump, but not the other parts. And IF they covered the sending unit, they wouldn't cover the fuel pump or tank. How's that for a gotcha? My local independent garage says the dealership is gouging me and told me they can do it for $700. I just need to have my daughter bring it back from Houston to San Antonio for two days.

I've submitted a request to the selling dealership, Cavender Toyota in San Antonio, to take back this POS as a lemon. Probably won't work, but I'm just thoroughly PO'd with this car. I will never, ever buy another Prius.

#1 GKinslow, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't blame you. sounds like the dealer found a salvage or katrina car and scammed you big time.

dealers around here auction old trade ins, they would never sell them.

dump it and move on before the next big bill comes. or call your a/g, ripoff!!!

3. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I actually met the PO, literally a widowed university research librarian who used it for commuting and traded it in for a new Prius!

#3 GKinslow, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    smart move

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Craigslist...find someone parting out a Gen 2. Buy the gas tank for 50 bucks. Have shop install it. Call it a day and have a beer.............

Why do you think the dash display and fuel sending unit are both bad?

Are you sure it's not just the combo meter?

Any loss of 12v power will cause fuel level to indicate one flashing dot until it recalibrates itself. My 2007 takes less than 5 minutes to recalibrate, but the 2005 I just got took over a day.

Can you give us a description of your symptoms? Prii are very prone to misdiagnosis. Your dash problems could even just be a very weak 12v battery.

m.wynn, SFO and Skibob like this.
  6. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The 12V battery and alternator are sound. Daughter reports display began showing erratic fuel consumption and fuel level readings about three weeks ago, ranging from displaying fuel economy ranging from 15 mpg to 100 mpg and fuel level ranging from full to empty, none of which were accurate as she determined when adding fuel to an "near-empty" tank. She took the car to Sterling-McCall Toyota in Houston and their diagnosis is attached. They state the display issue and fuel sender issue are coincidental, but I'm not so certain.

Attached Files:

7. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I consulted another Toyota dealership concerning the extended warranty company's refusal to cover the sending unit and the service manager said that's ridiculous, as the sending unit is actually a component of the fuel pump and its failure would lead inevitably to the failure of the main body. He told me the company is splitting hairs to deny coverage because the denial of this claim and a decision to drive the car and leave it unrepaired will simply result in the return of the car to the shop for the replacement of the main body. He also said it's highly improbable the sending unit is defective and the problem is likely with the instrument cluster only.

I found this:
    Problem Description
    The fuel gauge may read incorrectly. A service bulletin has been released by Toyota regarding this concern. The fuel filler pipe or the instrument cluster may need to be replaced to correct this concern.
    Fuel Guage may not read correctly : Toyota Prius Electrical and Lights

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjWlfv1tZzeAhVKQ6wKHeQ1CAgQFjAAegQIChAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpriuschat.com%2Fattachments%2Ft-sb-0163-08-pdf.11293%2F&usg=AOvVaw3dwvunBBYBZPTjozMIBz7y

Erratic gas gage on 2007 toyota prius - Maintenance/Repairs - Car Talk Community

I'm beginning to think there is no problem at all with the fuel level sending unit and the dealer is using the shotgun approach to the issue, at great unnecessary expense to me.

#7 GKinslow, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    happens all the time. any trouble codes?

9. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Not aware. They're going to install the instrument cluster first and recalibrate the fuel gauge to see if the problem is solved. This is goofy from the start. How does one get an accurate fuel reading when the fuel tank is actually a bladder that expands and contracts, hence changing its volume?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that covered?

11. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Instrument cluster is covered. Not the sender, if it's also at fault. But the dealer will argue the point with the insurance folks if it comes to that.

bisco likes this.
  12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An 07 with 65k miles and a new HV battery.. sounds like a keeper :love:

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    An 07 with 65k miles and a new HV battery.. sounds like a keeper :love:

. . . other than the fact that the new HV battery and peripherals, new water pump, new 12V battery, new instrument cluster and possibly new fuel pump are all after the original February 2018 $7000 purchase price plus the additional $1500 for an extended warranty. My daughter and my pocketbook would have been far better off with a good used Subaru Forester. I'm still waiting on a buyback response from the original selling dealer, Cavender Toyota, because at point I have no confidence in this car. These integrated systems are too complex to expect my daughter to deal with them.

#13 GKinslow, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  14. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Dealer has replaced the instrument cluster and calibrated the fuel gauge. Appears to be functioning normally with no replacement of any other components. Won't know for certain until the passage of a few days of driving.

#14 GKinslow, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  15. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How?

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I really think they're blowing smoke on that. Here's some Repair Manual info.

Attached Files:

m.wynn, Skibob and GKinslow like this.
  17. GKinslow

GKinslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow! That's pretty comprehensive. Does it apply to the 2007 model year?

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe so, all 2nd gen.

Skibob likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While the purchase price is high, the mileage is low and the Prius has a lot of life left in it;).

The jobs you mentioned aren’t a problem for the DIY type, and if a Gen2 fan, this is a peach:).

For the non diy’s, older cars are not good as they will have repairs, but what 10 year old machine doesn’t need maintenance?

Sorry to add more moisture to the parade:cool:.

m.wynn and SFO like this.
  20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a tank of a vehicle, which doesn't mean fill it with gas and it will go forever -though many have.

Register the vehicle VIN at https://www.toyota.com/owners and see what maintenance and recalls have happened and take it from there.

Check the oil level every week (or more often if driving faster over long distances), keep tabs on abnormal oil usage, use a quality filter/synthetic oil, and change it around 5k miles.

On occasion (or now), drain and fill the transmission fluid ($40, easy as an oil change).

Get an OBD2 adapter and an appropriate App, that way you will know when something happens in 'real time'. And if you really wanted to geek out, grab a mini-vci cable and a copy of tech-stream ;)

If you treat it as a disposable vehicle it may still last a longtime, but take a proactive approach and it may take you into a beautiful sunset :whistle:
    And now you have a new Toyota installed HV battery, and a replaced instrument cluster.. huge bonus!! (y)

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.