1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

130k miles -- sell/trade or keep?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ford James, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Ford James

Ford James New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HI All - we have an 2005 prius that just hit 132k miles. My wife drives 90 mile commute. Thinking of selling/trade and getting a newer (used) corolla/fit or somthing to avoid major repairs down the road... but we really like the car, and have had zero problems with it. Needs brakes and tires soon and it seems to burn a little oil (.5 quart a week...?!)...
    I assume we are looking at some big $$ coming down the pipe -- is now the time to sell/trade or should we consider just putting some cash into making it last another 100k?

I know this is a hard call... just looking for some tips. I like the idea of a convertsion to PIP as well... we don't have alot of spare cash to spend... just don't want to start feeding regular repairs (we are in the moutains and dealer repair shops are far away and hassel....

Thanks
    Ford

2. mbooth62

mbooth62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    .5 quart a week sounds high. My '05with 93K miles burns no oil. What oil are you using ? Might want to try a high mileage 5W30 and see if that improves things. Was your PCV valve changed ? (if not need to do that too since I think that can cause excessive oil consumption if stuck open ? ).

I think these cars can easily go to 200K+ without major problems. Did you change transmission fluid ? Do that too every 60K - not too expensive - and definitely cheaper than a new transmission.

3. Ford James

Ford James New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the oil tip -- that one puzzles me too -- no leaks that I can tell. I generally use Castrol 5-30 -- sometimes 10-40... have not changed PCV valve yet so will check that. Transmission change every 60K check. Generally religious about maintenance every 5k miles....