1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

14 Year 25000 Mile Suggested Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lilly58, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Lilly58

Lilly58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my Prius in for oil change and was told that I really should get fluids and spark plugs changed. Only 25,000 miles on 2006 and I am the only owner. The manual says fluids at 10 years, but doesn't say anything about spark plugs. Can anyone confirm?

Also, thoughts on buying 2020 model versus keeping the car?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you only have 25000 miles on it, that may be the lowest mileage 2006 out there!!!

No need to change the spark plugs, but fluids should be changed if they are original 14 year old fluids.

Raytheeagle, orenji and donbright like this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The gen2 Prii have proven to be very reliable and keeping yours would squeeze the most value out of it. Its unlikely a dealer or even a private party would give you equivalent value. You might find yourself replacing the hv battery at some point, not because of miles but due to age. But that expense may not cost much more than 5 or 6 of those new car payments. Other repairs could occur, a lot depends on your attitude about the inconvenience of taking it to a shop. On the other hand, a new 2020 gives you a rather comprehensive suite of safety features and likely ten years of trouble free motoring.

jerrymildred and orenji like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would have the sparkplugs changed based on time because they have a tendency of welding themselves to their holes if left in too long.

I bought our 06 from an owner like you. It only had 42k at the time and a very weak HV battery (lot more heat here than MN). Being in a cooler climate, your HV battery is lasting longer than many others but it too will eventually die. So, you should consider that cost in your decision but also you really should test drive the new versions. We have a gen 4 and it's a much better vehicle as one would expect (the gen 2 has its plusses too) with way more safety aids. Since you drive so little, you should really consider a plug-in model and eliminate the need for all that servicing of the gasoline engine that in your case isn't doing much except costing you money. Popular examples include Leaf, Bolt EV, and Teslas but there are many more.

GOOD LUCK!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Plugs are 120k miles OR 12 years, whichever comes first, IIRC.

Info's in Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. If missing, you can download from several sources; my goto is Toyota Tech Info, just easy to remember.

orenji and donbright like this.
  6. Lilly58

Lilly58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Really great.

Fotomoto -- Sounds silly, but I had completely forgotten about the battery. I guess I'll get the fluids and plugs changed and start shopping for a new Honda or Prius. I'm seeing 2021 models going for less than 2020 models? Very unusual. Unfortunately, between the very cold weather, the lack of charging stations in this neck of the woods, and being an apartment dweller; the all electric models don't make sense. So, I'll probably stick with the hybrids.

Is there a place in these forums where people just discuss the pros and cons of the various Prius models?