1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

145,000+ Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jhigga15, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone,
    I drive my Prius like wild and other than tries and oil changes I have never done anything to it. it's a 2007 and it has 145,5++ miles on it. I got an oil change and the dealership said i need the following:

Rear Brake Service: $39.95
    Engine Air Filter: $29.95
    Fuel Induction Service: $79.95
    Drive Belt: $145.00
    A/C Filter: $59.95

I have been reading and most of this stuff I can do myself it looks like, and for pretty cheap. A/C Filter, Engine Air Filter for sure, I just don't know the part numbers. I saw the Belt Drive post by Galaxee and it looks to not be too hard... I'm not sure about the Fuel Service and the brakes...

I also hit something and they say i need a new bumper... all the bottom is ripped up and is hanging, but i will deal with that next...

Any Help with the service will be greatly greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    John

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $59.95 for the cabin air filter installed??? TYC sells a version on Amazon for $4.83. A Fram engine air filter also on Amazon is less than $10. Serpentine belt, get a Gates, also $12.50 on Amazon.

What they don't list is spark plugs and PCV valve. Your should replace both of those, at the same time. Plugs, Denso IK16 are around $8 each, and a PCV is less than $10. You can also clean the MAF sensor with CRC MAF cleaner, and do the Induction service with a can of CRC Throttle Body cleaner. All in, you are looking at about $60 for plugs, cleaners, belt, and filters.

1 person likes this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Change the transaxle fluid if it hasn't been done.

4. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The A/C filter is behind the glove box, correct?

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct. Golly, I would hope that it has been changed before now... :blink:

The A/C filter and the engine air filter are both easy to change yourself. I buy the filters online, either at rockauto.com, or at Amazon. Just do a search on your car model/year and it will bring up the right ones.

I'd at least have the brakes checked at this mileage. I'd have someone do the belts, but that's because I HATE breaking nails! ;)

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The rear drum brakes should be cleaned and adjusted. A can of brake cleaner and a flathead screwdriver is all you need.

7. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The last time I fixed anything on a car was a long time ago, I was rigging my prelude in High School. I am a little nervous about the belt.

Critic, any how to's on the brakes?

I must admit I am excited!!!

8. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The last time I fixed anything on a car was a long time ago, I was rigging my prelude in High School. I am a little nervous about the belt.

Critic, any how to's on the brakes?

I must admit I am excited!!!

9. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Brake adjustment:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...leshooting/62006-rear-brake-clean-adjust.html

Get a belt from the dealer. At 145k the water pump is probably going to leak soon if it is still the original. The belt is easiest if you remove the RF tire and push the belt onto the crank pulley from underneath. IMO it is too difficult to do the entire job from the top. Also be careful with the bolt holding down the tensioner; that bolt will be tight so a 12" or longer ratchet and a 6-pt socket is advised.

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledge-base-articles-discussion/87166-belt-change-how-photos.html

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Not sure about a second gen Prius, but it's common for drum brake shoes to have (3?) points of contact with the backing plate, and it's good to keep those points lubricated.

In the above link you can see a round clip with a spring on each shoe. That's a little different than what I'm used to with past Hondas, but I believe there's a tool for removing those, or you might be ok with pliers.

Anyway, with those off, see if you can pull the shoes slightly away from the backing plate, and look for the contact points. A smallish swab of anti-sieze compound on those points will improve shoe travel and prevent squeaking. Be very careful to not get it on the shoe faces.

You can also but a little anti-sieze on the points of contact at the top/bottom ends of the shoes (brake cylinder at the top, bracket at the bottom). But that's a little impractical without actually taking the shoes off. Also, I don't think it's as needed as lubing the backing plate points of contact, which really see more movement/friction.

See now: down the page a bit on that link, Hobbit mentions the above.

And you know: if the dealership's going to a decent job on the rear brakes for $39.95, I'd go for it.

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I do not recommend doing anything dramatic to the drum brakes if you have not worked on brakes before. If you want to remove the wheel and pull the drum, dump out the nasty dust, hose it down with nastier brake cleaner, that's fine. You can check the wheel cylinders for leaks in the process. As long as the wheels turn freely and there are no other issues like grabbing, pulsation etc, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. The shoes and drum should last the life of the car.

I highly doubt that the dealer brake service goes anywhere beyond removing the drum and a quick once-over with the brake cleaning machine. If they found an issue such as Galaxee's, they would turn the drum and install new shoes, probably a $200 job. At $39.95, it is almost an open invitation for them to find something wrong -- glazing, contamination, etc. Buyer beware.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't let a bad experience or two with professionals turn you off brake maintenance.

IMHO: Periodic maintenance of the brake system is a necessity. Brake conditions do deteriorate, pad/shoes wear/glaze, faying surfaces need periodic inspection and re-lube, discs thin out and get out-of-true, or, or get scored, or even crack. Thin gauge shim plates can corrode away to zip. All of the above applies to drums as well.

Not all dealers are completely avarice motivated: off-and-on over the years with various Honda's I've let the dealerships check them out: I was never sold pads/shoes if it wasn't warranted, and they did competent work.

I wouldn't experience or two can turn you off brake maintenance, but imho: Periodic maintenance of the brake system is a necessity.

13. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have been looking for the parts online (Ebay, amazon), I also need a bumper, LH fender liner... Any sweet bumpers that arent OEM? I only find skirts...

14. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    if i'm going to fix it, I might as well trick it out... JDM style...

15. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think West Coast Customs sells a body kit

16. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is the Correct number for the Fram cabin air filter? I can't find it online. I have a 2007 Base Prius.

Also what is a good belt?

Thanks,
    John

17. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe it is CF9846. I would get an OE belt from the dealer.

MB860 ?

1 person likes this.
  18. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  19. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gates makes good belts and can be ordered online, if you do not want to visit a dealer. Cost is about the same.

20. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just changed the cabin airfilter, engine airfilter... 30 buck in parts, saved 60...

Got my gates belt in the mail today...