1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

147,000 Trouble-Free Miles

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by VTexan, Jun 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. VTexan

VTexan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I walked out of work on a Friday afternoon, got into my 2012 Prius C and there was no sign of life. It's a keyless edition, and the car didn't respond to anything. I had replaced the keyless battery a couple of months ago, so I am reasonably sure that wasn't it.
    My next thought was jumper cables, so I got someone from work who had cables--another Prius C owner, it turns out--and got them hooked up. My car immediately started, before she even started hers. I disconnected the cables, thanked her, reassembled her battery cover, and headed homeward.
    I did have the air conditioning on for my half-hour commute--this is, after all, June in Texas--and when I got home, I tried re-starting. It was close to dead.
    One other clue: I'm someone who makes a sandwich for lunch and eats at my desk, but in the past 2 weeks have, most afternoons, gone out and tried to get 15 or 20 minutes' worth of shuteye, or at least relaxation, during which the air conditioner is cranked.
    For those of you who are problem solving inclined: care to speculate? I thank you in advance!

2. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    on a "normal" car I would say your battery has a bad cell in it, they will start and run but won't restart. it might be same with Prius

ztanos likes this.
  3. VTexan

VTexan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I finally just jump-started it and took it to the local Prius dealer. They've replaced the battery and I'm about to go pick it up.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you needed a new 12v battery, i don't understand the confusion.(n)

#4 bisco, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    bonanzoo, ztanos and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. VTexan

VTexan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had battery problems with a Prius before, and I understand that there are two different types of batteries in the Prius--that which starts the car, and those that supplement the gas engine. I was trying to access the well of experience here for areas with with which I have no experience in Hybrid cars.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you already solved it. you jumped the 12v, and it started. then without a jump, it didn't start. the 12v was 6 years old and needed to be replaced.

you are correct, the 12v starts the computers, and the hybrid battery assists with motive power, as well as powering high voltage things like the a/c compressor.

all the best!(y)

#6 bisco, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You may want to start by reading all posts for your year and buy a multimeter. With the miles you have on the car, problems are coming. But many can be avoided by preventive maintenance.

did you find out where the 12V battery is?

#7 Andyprius1, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018
  8. VTexan

VTexan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to jump it twice, so yes. Turns out, my workmate with the jumper cables had a Prius C, so I had two back seat compartments to take apart and put together.

9. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    For anyone else reading this, with almost all modern cars, letting the battery die is bad, and sometimes really expensive, as many cars will need extensive reprogramming (not Toyota). Toyota only needs a few things re-learned.

The 12v battery is considered a time-compliance replacement item, just like your oil and filters. Toyota recommends replacing the battery every three years. Sometimes they go four, and as in VTexan's case, sometimes they go six. Electrical issues aside, the correct battery for the car will never die in three years. We use OEM batteries, which are about $120 for the Aqua here, and our customers are never, ever left stranded.

...now, about that brake fluid, and very expensive brake system parts ;-)

10. RobAustin

RobAustin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Congratulation on the easy fix from another Texan.

This Texas summer heat is hard on car batteries.

Have you cleaned the fan for the traction battery?