1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$15.7k for a 2009 Base (not CPO) with 53000 miles. Sounds high?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by buster71, Jun 20, 2013.

1. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Found a Base 2009 with JBL audio, backup camera, clean carfax (but with 2 previous owners) - car looks extremely well maintained inside and out. Car was advertised online by Toyota dealership as "certified", but was later told in person that is was "eligible" to be certified, but only if the buyer requested, of course for an additional cost. Internet manager came in with a price of $15700. Took it for a test drive, and everything checked out fine. Went back into the dealership, and they said they wouldn't budge on the price, even an inch. I told them I just came from another dealer who had an '08 Touring with leather and similar mileage and willing to negotiate below their advertised Internet price of $14888, and the response was "I don't know why you didn't buy from them, then. What are you doing here?" Then they pretty much wrapped it up and more or less showed me the door. No effort to negotiate further (usually they chase after you, even in the parking lot, to re-negotiate), so it makes me think they were serious about not budging on the price. Edmunds pegs FMV of a non-CPO with this equip and mileage as only slightly over $15000. Thoughts? (I'm in no rush to buy. Not even sure I will buy at all...)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    move along, nothing to see here.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's what a 2010 model sells for where I live. Here's one on Craigslist. TOYOTA 2010 PRIUS
    You did the right thing.

4. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, that what i thought. Felt very comfortable just walking away from it. I did learn a lot from the test drive(s) I did today. I previously had never even sat in a Prius before, let alone drive one. I have to say that I prefer the exterior and interior styling of the Gen II over the Gen III. I will focus my search for a '07 through '09, but if a nicely priced 2010+ comes along, it may tempt me!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

6. barenstam

barenstam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE

Where are you located? I have a 2010 Prius II with 46,000 miles coming off lease with a purchase price of $15,700. I would be happy for someone here to purchase it. I'm in New Hampshire.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius prices are remaining high. $10K to $19K prices for GenII's with medium to high miles persist even here on the frontrange where hybrids typically command a lower price.

Faced with the same problem the past few months, we bought a brand new C yesterday for a couple thousand more. Lower interest rate, longer warranty, free maintenance, and brand new for a couple thousand dollars. Makes it worth it.

8. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the NYC metro area. With a little looking, I've found a couple of GEN II (year 2008 and 2009) for sale, all with between 29k to 55k miles on the odometer and all selling for under $14k. Just trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger or not.