1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15 or 17 inch wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 4est, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do they come in 6Jx15? The link is showing 14x4.5J and bolt pattern is wrong on Pip or on any of Prius I know. Or is this for a different car?

2. Ajrob671

Ajrob671 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hello Mendel
    I'm Freddy
    just wondering what's your opinion on these tires, are these any gd & are these one of the tires u use on your Prius. I have a 2016 three touring with the 17 inch rims.

for winter I'm going to buy a set of 15 inch Steelies & the michelin x ice3 tires.

As for the OEM rims, would u recommend these

I'm going to buy on tirerack & it looks like the options for 17 inch are very slim

I'm looking at these Michelins & the Yokohama avid ascent gt

Attached Files:

3. Karl Goh

Karl Goh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I only googled the picture and picked 1 with high enough picture resoultion to show u.

This is what i'm looking at buying :
    pcd 100 x 5
    15 x 6J, offset +45
    centre bore 54mm

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got it. They do look good to me. If they come in OEM spec, it should work. I just realized you are in New Zealand. I doubt I can find those wheels in the US. I want Prius PRIME OEM spec 6.5Jx15 ET40 with correct bore size 54.1mm, so I can swap my wheels without hub ring and keep the same lug nuts. I found not too expensive good looking Corolla alloy wheel with correct bolt pattern and bore size, but it is 16 inch rim.
    New 16x6.5 Aluminum Wheel Rim Fits 2014-2019 Toyota Corolla 5-100mm | eBay
    I don't want larger and heavier wheels for my car. I want to stick with 15" wheels and tires.

5. Karl Goh

Karl Goh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    i-Tech
    look at your marketplace or similar.. lots of bridgestone or japanese wheels people don't normally know about the brands. Which are pretty trusty brands like this bridgestone. some sellers think the brand is Eco Forme because its printed on the wheel or center caps.

I recommend look at bridgestone website on their wheels, and browse your marketplace based on the shapes.

Poor blokes like me have to resort to these methods to save some coin for the kids,,

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, this is the first time I heard Bridgestone makes wheels. I would buy them if they are available here in the US, but I don't think so. Even if I find them, wouldn't be cheap. We have plenty of cheap wheels here. I just can't find one that is OEM spec. My current winter wheels are 15" MB ICON. MB Wheels Icon Wheels - Tire Reviews and More I bought them new for less than 50 UDS each.

IMG_20181115_110800.jpg

#26 Salamander_King, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  7. Karl Goh

Karl Goh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    i-Tech
    i hear some states in US have horrible roads. i would lean towards forged wheels if possible to minimize risk or bent or rupture on pot holes impact.

I used to own Work Emotion CR Kiwami 18x8.5 and the second day my wife drove it out, she curbed the wheels.

3 months ago, got my dad to drive it to his garage for oil change, he curbed 2 wheels. (he's getting old haha)

Wheels costed me $2200 nzd means just over $1400USD and waited 2 months for shipping from Japan

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours came with Pilot hxm4, and I switched this spring to Primacy hxm4. I found an immediate drop in mpg, and it really hasn't come back. Other'n that I'm happy with the Primacy, but yeah...

Funny thing: the OEM Pilot said "green-x" on the sidewall, but now they don't. Also, the Primacy we got say "green-x" but I'm not sure what credence that has any more, considering the mpg drop.

9. Karl Goh

Karl Goh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Bridgestone wheels website in Japan. (auto translated by google chrome)
    ECO FORME | BRIDGESTONE WHEEL GRAFFITI

The model I've got is not listed. Se-10

I've got some pictures and numbers for u guys:

Tyres are Yokohama Blue Earth 195/65r15 91H weighs 7.2 kg or 15.8 lbs

OEM PiP 15x6
    7.4 kg or 16.3 lbs
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bridgestone Eco Forme SE-10 15x6
    5.7 kg or 12.5 lbs
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cost NZD$360 or USD$230 out the door (includes tax, labour to swap my tyres over and balance)
    Weight savings 6.8kg or 15 lbs
    felt ride is more comfortable. i guess the suspension works better with lighter wheels to absorb vibrations rather than transfering to the chassis

QuantumFireball likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those look great! And weight save of ~4lb x 4 is sure to improve efficiency. Great finds.

11. PisethCTG

PisethCTG New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello which prius model did you use that PIP 15 inch wheels on? I currently have 2015 prius persona and trying to see if 15 inch wheels can fit. Please reply, I’m replacing my tires soon.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's absolutely no problem putting 3rd gen Prius 15" rims on a level that came with 17". My 2010 Touring (CDN level) came with 17" rims stock, but I've currently got some older corolla steel rims on, with snow tires.

The other way 'round, putting 17" rims on a level that came with 15", is "slightly" wrong:, since levels with stock 17" apparently have some suspension and steering mods. A lot do it though.

13. PisethCTG

PisethCTG New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thank you very much, I have some other doubts too. Do you happen to know the part numbers for the wheels? The 15” ones? When I look at toyota parts there are so many different parts like type A type B and also different part numbers without pictures/color. I’m new to cars, sorry if I ask too much.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They have different bodies too. See, for example, the different part numbers for 61607E, 61608D, 61631A, 61632A, here.

SIDE MEMBER. 2010 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts Center Online

And the skid ECU is programmed differently.

I don't have a strong opinion on whether it is or isn't ok, but I'm not getting how mismatching the wheels to the suspension and steering would be "slightly" wrong but only in one direction.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure why there’s so many iterations, the 15” in particular. Maybe the same part except manufactured in different plants, hence different embossed badges??

probably same pics you’re looking at:

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/prius/3-hatchback-right-xw30-2011-r-2828/transmission-and-chassis-2/disc-wheel-wheel-cap-121

16. PisethCTG

PisethCTG New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I’m looking for the black ones like the ones that come stock on regular 3rd gen prius. Do you know which model/part number should I get? If you don’t, it’s fine. It’s just hard to ask the guys at the dealer near me because they don’t like answering about things that don’t come stock with my vin number.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One roundabout way:

On the Amayama website, enter your vehicle as 2010, drill down to wheels, note part no. Then repeat except enter vehicle as 2015.

Compare part no’s. If same, Google. If diff, Google both.

Also Google image search for the part nos (plural if applicable), see what colours show up.

#37 Mendel Leisk, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022