1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15" versus 17" wheels & mpg/gauges

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ElectricSpike, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There are three 2010 V's on the market nearby at a decent price - after doing research on this amazing site, my view is that we would need to add 15" rims with snow tires for the winter, and would use the 17" rims for the summer. My husband mentioned this idea to a Toyota mechanic (when we were checking out a car that we didn't end up buying) and the mechanic said that would be a bad idea, because it would "mess up the numbers" - he meant mpg/odometer/other gauges.

That doesn't make sense to me, because with the tires on the rims, they would be about the same radius/circumference.

Who is right? When rims are changed, does something special need to be done to technical/gauge side of things in order for the car to record the correct odometer/mpg numbers? Can we do that ourselves? Is the mechanic just not seeing the big picture?

Also, my best guess is that this is the correct forum, as it is technical in nature. If I am wrong, please move this discussion. Thank you!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are correct, as long as the 15 inch wheels have appropriate tires on them they won't mess anything up.

If you don't have TPMS tire pressure sensors on your winter set up, you'll just have to ignore the warning light on your dashboard.

ElectricSpike likes this.
  3. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  4. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would say, it takes more energy to rotate a 17" metal rim vs less energy to rotate a 15" metal rim.

Also, depending on the size of tires, they may be different diameters and may take more of a rotation to complete on the larger diameter rim/tire combo which will throw off the on board computer of the prius since it was originally spec'ed or calibrated to whatever originally sized tire/rim that came on the vehicle.

iPhone ?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our stock tires are 215/45R17, and every winter I switch over to 195/65R15 snow tires, mounted on Corolla rims, sans tpms sensors. No problems. The diameters are very close, on purpose: they are interchangeable. The 17" has very slightly smaller OD, but affects nothing.

When I was shopping snow tires I contacted our local dealership, the one we bought from, and got an earful about the Prius being a "flagship" vehicle, not steel rim available. In exasperation I emailed all the dealerships in the area, and one came back right away, with a quote, saying they thought Corolla 15" steel rims would work. And they did, lol.

Here's a little info on our setup:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2003-2008 corolla or matrix, CE, LS, S)
    steel rim lug nuts: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

The rims were $70 apiece, and the lug nuts somewhere around $30 for the lot. I could have just bot the parts and headed for Costco, but elected to let them do the full deal, just in case there was a clearance or fit problem. Worked out fine.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, the Prius 17" alloy wheels and 15" steel wheels use different style lugnuts. That's why Mendel mentioned getting a set of lugnuts along with his winter set.

Mendel Leisk and ElectricSpike like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, the lug nuts used with the alloys will actually work, but they look odd, stick out and have loose washers. They will work with the (steel) temp spare, for example. But it's nice to get some regular lug nuts. The dealerships will know what's compatible.

I also put a 2" ABS pipe cap over the center hub opening, with a rubber band section cut from an bicycle inner tube to act as an O-ring. Just started doing that this year, and it's a good fit, and shows no signs of coming off. Almost presentable, lol:

image.jpeg

8. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mendel Leisk, thank you for all of the detailed specs! I had another question for you; in your last paragraph, you say you "elected to let them do the full deal..." - are you referring to the dealership, or to Costco? Did you get the rims and lug nuts through Costco? Thanks!

9. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That ABS pipe cap looks great! Who would know in winter anyway?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Turns out the rims were fine, but the dealership wasn't sure, I was the guinea pig. These are all Toyota parts, and I let them do the whole thing. But yeah, you could just get the rims and go to Costco. Their prices tend to be lower, and if there's rebates they take them off at time of sale, saving you mail-in hassle AND some sales tax.

One caution: those are Corolla rims, fit the centre hub precisely. Any aftermarket rims will have oversized centre hole and you should use an adapter ring. Other wise the load is being taken by the lug nuts and studs.

We went 4 winters with those before I experiment with the centre caps. The hubs get really groady/rusty, to the point it might be hard to remove the nut, if needed, especially on the fronts. I just picked those up at Home Depot, they're an end cap for 2" abs pipe, about $3~4 apiece. They won't stay on (on Corolla rims) all by themselves, but when I slipped an innertube rubber band over the the hub opening first, they're secure. The front case it won't quite push all the way down, but it's ok, very close.

You could dress it up more with some closed acorn-style nuts. I was stuck with those open ended ones, so I treat them with a little wax/oil rust preventative, just very sparingly. They're galvanized, but still it helps.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You shouldn't have too much trouble finding Prius OEM 15" rims for a good price. I regularly see it here in CA for about $200 a set.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FYI, the Costco tire centers where I live will not work on nor install any tire size or rim that is not original equipment size for your vehicle. Even if it comes standard on another trim level on the same type vehicle. :rolleyes:

Talk about a CYA corporate policy.

However, I would think they wouldn't be as strict when it comes to a second set for winter use.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well the Prius has 2 standard sizes, both 17" and15". Maybe ok?

14. JStrenk

JStrenk Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my snows from Tire Rack and got a package deal that amounted to 4 15" aluminum rimes for about $50.00 each.
    [​IMG]
    Already mounted, delivered to my door.

Unfortunately the package is a little more expensive this year.

15. airkore65

airkore65 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Cap secured with no slip stair tape.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've actually got some snow today, eh?

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have had a 67 degree swing in temperatures from -20 F to 47 F today in two days but no sunshine.

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Slight hit in MPG from going from 15 to 17 inch wheels. I have seen about a 3 MPG decrease.

19. Nopho4u

Nopho4u Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    If you go a forged 17 the mpg loss would be even less or almost maybe none

stock 15 inch 14.3 lbs

aftermarket 17inch te37 15.7 lbs

20. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The biggest reason I could think of going from 15 inch to 17 inch wheels would hurt gas mileage would be the type of tire assuming the diameters are the same. A pond difference in weight would not cost 3 mpg.