1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

150,000 miles service on a 2008 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by adamortiz5, Nov 28, 2016.

1. adamortiz5

adamortiz5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all, I have a 2008 Prius that I've had since 114k miles. I did the major service at 120k and had all the major work done and have been getting regular oil changes every 5k miles.
    Now I'm at 150k miles and my mechanic tells me she needs another major serice including oil change, tire rotation, oil filter change, cabin filter change, air filter change, check brake fluid and brakes. It all sounds good but he said it's going to cost around $350 and I'm wondering if that's fair. Usually I get a minor service that includes oil change, filter change, and tire rotation for $65. The mechanic uses all original manufacturer parts. I'm also not handy at all, I have no tools and would not take on most servicing projects for my car.

2. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WoW! Major rip off. $350.00 for doing what? Nothing but routine maintenance - not anything of substance. Cabin and engine filters are easily accessible and can be changed in 5 minutes, no special tools or know how needed. You can look up a you tube video for step by step directions if necessary. You can also check the level and condition of the brake fluid yourself. Any fluid that is dark and discolored needs changing. Tires do need rotation. When the wheel is off the car, it is quite easy to check the condition of the pads and rotors which usually wear before the rear brake shoes. Keep an eye on the tire treads and the wear pattern. You may also need an alignment.

My car is a 2005 Prius with nearly 285,000 miles.

My other Prius is a 2008 which my son is driving. He is currently at 148,300 miles. When he came to visit this weekend, we installed his winter tires on steel rims, checked the brakes while the wheels were off, changed the oil and filter, checked the engine air filter (last changed at 131,800 miles and no problems), changed his cabin filter which was nasty and needed changing even though it had only been 18,000 miles since the last change, refilled his wiper reservoir, and checked all the fluid levels - brake, engine coolant, hybrid coolant. What I recommended at 150,000 is to get the plugs and PCV valve changed and to get the transmission fluid drained and refilled. Your 12v battery will need replacing if it has not been changed out yet.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $65. is very reasonable. is this the same lady? ask for a breakdown. i'm thinking $50. for the air and cabin filters and $50. for the brake inspection. also, the filters don't always need to be replaced. sometimes and inspection/cleaning is all they need.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are five tire shops in my neighborhood and every one of them will rotate your tires for free. If you bring some cookies, all the better. I do my own oil changes, but I see coupons all the time for $30 for that. Some of the tire shops do brakes too and will inspect those for free.

The two filters, if needed, cost less than $50 for both, and are easily replaced with no tools required, just a few clips.

There are a few things you might need that aren't listed, and that your neighborhood mechanic may not be able to do correctly. It may be time to change coolant in both systems, and your brake fluid may need to be flushed.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If they're doing a thorough brake inspection $350 for all of that sounds like a good deal.