1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

150,000mi Scheduled Maintenance - All necessary?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nowihaveaprius, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Nowihaveaprius

Nowihaveaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone. I bought my 2011 Prius (4 Cyl, 2WD, CVT) in January with ~142,000 miles on it. This is my first car so I don't know a ton about maintenance. I recently passed 150,000 miles. At the first appointment I made following purchasing the car at my local Toyota dealership they give my a Factory Scheduled Maintenance sheet. Here are what it lists as the "Required Scheduled Services" for 150,000mi:

-Replace synthetic engine oil and filter
    -Multi-point inspection
    -Rotate tires
    -Inspect fuel system
    -Inspect radiator core and condenser
    -Replace cabin air filter (models w/o solar power ventilation system)
    -Replace inverter coolant
    -Replace engine air filter
    -Replace long life engine coolant
    -Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
    Total: $500.11

My last appointment was at 145,000mi and they did a multi-point inspection, rotated my tires, visually inspected brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs.

So my main questions are whether all of this is necessary and if I can easily do any of these myself to save money? Thanks for all the help, and sorry if this is a common question (this is my first time posting :whistle:)!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You can do it all yourself since they didn’t mention egr circuit maintenance which they don’t do and cvt fluid replacement

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can do as much as you are willing to tackle.
    that's not aa bad list or price, but i would double check against the maintenance schedule that came with your car. if you didn't get one, log on to the toyota owners website, and research past maintenance performed as well.
    as tank mentions above, search here and educate yourself on the egr circuit and tranny fluid.

all the best!(y)

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First, here is the URL to all of the videos which show how to perform every maintenance item there is on your Prius:
    Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Second, let's look at the tasks:
    1. Inspections: The dealer will usually perform inspections for free..
    2. Oil and filter change
    3. Engine Coolant Change
    4. Inverter Coolant Change
    5. Replace Engine Air Filter
    6. Replace Cabin Air Filter
    7. Rotate Tires
    The Engine and Cabin air filter changes are super-easy. All you need is a Philips screwdriver and the new filters. Easy-peasy.

Doing the oil and coolant changes are very basic tasks: You open a drain bolt, the oil or coolant comes out, close the bolt. Add the new fluid. That's about it; you have to jack up the car to do it and there are a few additional steps covered in the videos, but that's basically it.

Rotating the tires just takes a jack and jack stands. Quite basic.

All of these things are pretty low difficulty, and if you watch the videos, I'd say foolproof. You don't need to do them all at once. Do the two filters and maybe the oil change, and then the next weekend the two coolants.

What does it cost? Here... the $500 isn't too bad. I've seen many worse. If you do these yourself, you'll spend about $150 on the filters and fluids (that's my guess), and you'll want to pick up maybe ten belly pan clips (plastic rivets) from your dealer because the ones you have will be pretty thrashed. They're like a dollar each.

THEN: There are other maintenance items that your dealer didn't list. They aren't on the standard list of items, but we recommend them. Namely, replace the transmission oil and clean the EGR valve/cooler. The transmission oil is only a little more difficult than the other fluid changes. The big difference is that you need to jack up the car and keep it level while it's jacked up.

The EGR cleaning is a lot more work, and you'll probably want to swap the spark plugs while you're at it. The spark plugs need replacement every 120K miles, I believe. Try to find the car's service records to see if the plugs have been replaced. The plugs are iridium and quite expensive -- about $40 for a set -- and difficult to access, so it's a pain to just remove one and inspect. But you'll access them when you do the EGR project, so it's good to combine them.

mikey_t likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A non-DIY option that saves money also exists. I’d suggest that the average neighborhood mechanic could do everything on that dealer’s list for about $350. Nothing on that list is beyond the capability of a smalltime garage.

Threej and mikey_t like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you got the Toyota USA publication Warranty and Maintenance Booklet? I think it goes up to 150k miles; haven't got it handy at the moment to verify. Anyway: what they handed you might be a dealership publication.

You can download a PDF of the aforementioned booklet, from Toyota Tech Info, for your specific year/model, and compare.

All that said, looking through your list, they might be on the money. I do know the US schedule calls for inverter fluid change at 150k. Still, a little overpriced, and I would at least DIY the filter changes. And, just inspect the filters, only change if warranted.

The visual brake inspection is nothing, and what's left is basically:

Oil and filter change
    Tire rotation
    Inverter coolant change

That shouldn't be over $250. Even up here in CDN $'s.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019