1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1500mi Oil Change Analysis

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Incredible, May 2, 2012.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Attached is the oil analysis for my C from the 1500mi oil change.

Factory fill. Wasn't black, but still had some amber in it. Didn't check for gritty feel.

Pretty standard for a first oil change as far as I can see. The first report erroneously noted the 1.8L engine. Blacstone Labs wasn't aware the 1.5L is used in the C and pre-2010 models. They're all better now. They had to fix the report for our 2009 Prius, too. Both got resends. They were quick about it once I noted the error to them. You might want to check any you had done, if you did.

For an explanation of of what the report numbers and metals mean, see THIS SITE. Select the report of your choice, it will pop up. Roll over the items and explanations will appear.

Attached Files:

Ryephile likes this.
  2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    "Still going through wear-in at 1500 miles." I did a change on a Gen 3 (that I didn't keep unfortunately) at 1500 miles. I think I'll hold out until 5k at the earliest.

Thanks for posting.

3. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your results are very similar to priusCpilot's report at 1k mi. with the exception that his iron is half your value. As expected, the oil additive signature is the same.

4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Are you going to do an OC before the 10k OCI as recommended by Toyota? For my new C, I am debating doing a change a 5k even though half the people say "Don't" and the other half say "Do". :)

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An early oil change on that car will do no harm but any good it will do will be too small to notice in under 200k miles, probably ever. If it makes you feel better, go for it with the knowledge that you are making some nearly immeasurable good for your engine in addition to making yourself feel good. Feeling good is worth something:)

6. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OldWolf, I'll do another change at 5k miles, then one at 10k miles. I won't do another analysis until the 10k mile change. After 10k miles I haven't yet decided what to do. I'll likely decide on an oil, then take it to 7.5k to see how it does.

I don't really care what others think about my intervals. It suits me to do them this way, and my reasons are my own. Every body is an expert since AlGore invented the web.

7. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Mr Incredible, I have been told to continue to use Toyota 0W20, mainly because it is an excellent oil and blended for Toyota engines. Being a Mobil 1 man, I had planned on using their 0W20, but after learning the Toyota version was made by Mobil, I guess I stick with the Toyota product for a while. What oils are you considering?

8. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have the Valvoline 0w-20 in it now, and have M1 0w-20 standing by for the next change. I'll try a Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 at some point. I looked at all the easily available 0w's and 5w's-20, and saw that all the 40c and 100c viscosities pretty much overlapped over the grades. I don't think all the hullabaloo about sticking to a 0w oil is about physical properties as much as it is about mpg certification. Toyota has a lot riding on it, I can imagine they would like it to stay in the car. If a 5w oil would kill it I think they would have worded their literature stronger than what they did. Others will disagree (and darned quickly, you can bet), but that's my opinion and it's fine if you don't like it.

I usually use the Purolator filters. Now that they're available at WallyMart I'll have to keep an eye on them for deteriorating quality.

The Toyota oil is a fine oil. Use it with confidence if you wish to use it.

I see you're from NC. I learned to cook a pig in Princeton NC. Being from Kansas City, I didn't think I'd ever like that clear sauce. It only took one bite to fall in love with it. Now I can't make BBQ pork without stirring up a qt jar full of that sauce.

9. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'm from Leawood KS originally, just a suburb of KCKS!

10. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm from Richmond MO originally. Wife # 2 was from NC.

My preferred bbq is Gates & Sons (HI! MAY I HELP YOU?)