1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$151 Optima battery free shipping

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cnschult, Mar 17, 2012.

1. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    advanceautoparts.com, part # DS46B24R, $200.99, coupon code BIG50 for $50 off $200 purchase, free shipping, just pay sales tax if there is an advance auto in your state. Mine comes out to $160.05, I double dog dare you to find one cheaper than that. I'm not sure when that code expires so act fast.

5 people like this.
  2. shrktank

shrktank New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Went to site to purchase. I can not seem to find the place to enter the BIG50 code. Can you clarify where I enter the code at

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Score!!!! It is still working this morning. No tax and free shipping to NM

1 person likes this.
  4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    go to the advanceautoparts.com, type DS46B24R into search bar, add the battery to your shopping cart, click proceed to cart, scroll under your items (if you added more stuff) and above the 3 payment buttons is an empty space labeled Enter Your Promo Code, enter BIG50 in the box and click the red Apply button, make sure it takes and your total becomes $150.99 and then checkout like ordering from any other website.

I've read previous posts you've made complaining on how parts are more expensive in NM, so I'm glad you were able to get this for $151 shipped to your door. The downside is if there is a warranty issue you don't have a local store to take the battery to, but from what I've read Optimas last twice as long and take twice the abuse as a Toyota battery. I can't remember but you made a joke about NM not being part of America, or something to that effect. My dad was born in Alaska, another place that doesn't feel like its part of America cause its so far away and full of nothing. He told me a funny joke: If those Texans don't watch their mouth, we're gonna split in two and make Texas and third largest state in America. :cool:

5. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, it would be embarrassing if I killed this new Optima before its time. But I suppose I will have to ship it back to Advance if it arrives DOA. We deal with this stuff all the time in NM. Most stuff we can't get locally, and if it is not in Albuquerque, then we have to order it. We have stuff come on UPS almost daily. At least it is not prohibitive to get stuff shipped here. I can't imagine what it would be like in AK. Anyway, thanks for the tip, as it is not likely that this price level will be seen anytime soon. By the way, the dealership OEM retail price is somewhere around $182 now.

6. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $161.56 with state tax and free shipping to Indiana...

Anybody know how long can I keep this on a shelf? I figure I'll put it on a charger when it arrives and put it on a shelf for now. My original is still doing okay, but between my short trips and kids that leave lights on, mine has not had an easy life and often tests around 11.9 volts first thing on cold mornings (I guess those are behind us) based on readings taken at the jump points.

I've been waiting for a deal on one of these ever since I learned (too late) about the one Optima offered on their battery upon release of the pencil post version.

Thanks so much for this info...

7. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A while. IME lead acid batteries will last about eight or nine (+/-2) years unless someone really trashes them. Get one of those cheap $5 HF float chargers, or whatever your local equivalent is, and check on it every week or so. It should be fine until your current one gives up the ghost.

I usually go to the j-yard and get a pair of the newest/biggest batteries I can for my old cars. It's easier paying $80 every seven years for four 1-2 year old batteries in good shape than $200+ every nine for two new batteries, and I always have a battery ready when I need it.

8. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well mine arrived on the front porch today packed in a lovely box on a 45 deg. angle, but I read that does not matter. I took it down to the bench and put it on a volt meter which showed 12.38 volts. I hooked it up to a Battery Tender Jr.http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000CITK8S?tag=priuschatcom-20

which started indicating a charging state.

I bought the Battery Tender Jr. with the intention of hooking it up to my original battery to keep it alive until I could find a sale on the Optima, but it still seems to be okay since the last time I charged it (with a standard charger).

So I guess I'll just leave the new Optima sitting on the bench hooked up to the Battery Tender Jr. until I need it unless someone here thinks that is a bad idea.

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sage advice, minus prii

The battery in the prii is designed to allow the system to boot, it doesn't have to turn a starter motor, it's a tiny under powered device that dies at the drop of a scarf, so paying 200$ for an optima deep cycle gel battery that should save a large amount of gas for 5 years or so (saves gas by holding a charge, vs having the ice start every five minutes to charge the 12v) is the way one adjusts to prii

10. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think Prii are any exception to j-yard batteries. I've seen more than a few AGM batteries at the j-yard. It might take a few trips to find one, whereas they always have wet LAs, but AGMs will show up sooner or later.

Someone could also go with four 40ah LFP cells in series with a minibms or similar. It would be a $100+ or so more, but it should also last a lot longer than any lead acid battery.

11. ZitterZap

ZitterZap Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of questions before I jump on this deal. Thanks to anyone who can give me info on this.

I read about this battery is it the direct fit replacement? (or will I need to modify the terminals to fit this battery?)

My current battery is OEM and will complete 3 years in September 2012. When do you think the OEM will need replacing? Also will it be ok for Optima to sit on the shelf for that long?

Also this battery is a cheaper and better alternative to the OEM, as discussed in many posts? How long does it lasts vs the OEM?
    What are the chances of increase in MPG is it 100%, how much MPG increase can I expect?

12. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the ds46b24r is a direct fit prius battery optima started making for us last year, before that you had to buy a diff. battery and a kit to modify it. because it lasts longer and handles more abuse many priuschatters put the optima in, now that you don't need to modify it and I have shown you how to get one delivered for about the same price as an oem toyota dealer, there is absolutely no reason to buy the oem one, anyone who will need a new 12V battery in the next year or so should be rushing to advanceautoparts.com.

although the optima will last years on the shelf, there is no reason to buy one if you recently replaced your battery with an oem one. I told you guys to use coupon code BIG50 but you mind as well use code VISA because that code is $50 off a $150 purchase, I bought the yellow top for my prius, and now i'm going to buy the red top 35 for my corolla: $186 -$4 on sale -$50 coupon = $132+tax with free shipping, which is about $30 more than the top of the line 35-group batteries around town, well worth it.

one negative reviewer said, in 2011, that he bought his red top in 2010 but it was actually made in 2007 so it was old when he received it and had lots of trouble with it. for every bad review there are dozens of raving positive reviews, you gotta figure most people rant when they have a problem so its probably more like hundreds or thousand of happy optima customers for every disgruntled one.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy these optimas from advance auto parts with the coupon & free shipping, just check the manufacture date when you receive it and if its over a year old I would take it back or call them and ask them for a more recent one. You can also buy one from optima directly, it'll cost you $200 but it comes with 2 free lawn chairs :p

Optima is kind of like Toyota, they make a really great product but offer a warranty far inferior to their competitors, the 36month optima warranty is industry standard for top of the line battery free replacement warranty, but they don't offer any additional years for pro-rated warranty, most offer 72 or even 84 month pro-rated warranty on their top-of-the-line batteries.

can anyone tell me if optima batteries require being sprayed with anti-corrosion battery spray that I have? and if I should buy those red & green anti-corrosion felt washers? I figure if these batteries last so long I want all the connections to last a long time as well

13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Seems a bit low. I thought Optima fully charge their battery before they ship. Maybe Advanced Auto had it sit on the shelf for a while. Is the manufacturing date labeled on the battery somewhere?

The battery is well protected from the elements in the trunk but it won't hurt to apply anti-corrosion grease.

14. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i wasn't just referring to the optima in a prius trunk, I was inquiring about optimas in general. such as in the hood of my corolla. but thanks for your suggestion.

15. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    His was 12.38, mine was 12.52. Apparently they self discharge in the distribution process.

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine just arrived, 12.63V.

Included was a sheet from Advance Auto regarding the warranty, as well as their sticker on the battery with a date.

The Optima will solve the problem of having a battery that can be recharged after having been run flat several times, unlike the OEM. If the OEM battery is very weak, then it is possible that a new Optima will give better MPG. A new OEM vs. a new Optima will not show a material difference in MPG.

17. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, there is a brown 3/12 sticker on the top but I think that is from Advanced Auto indicating sale date. The serial number on the side sticker starts with 1202 so I suspect that is a code for its date of manufacture.

The new battery is living a happy life right now with a 12.95 volt charge on the Battery Tender Junior, but I think it will be in the car soon as this morning my car showed only 10.3 volts!

I suspect I could put it on the charger and nurse it along a bit more, but there is really no reason to do that anymore now is there :rockon:

18. Rick3401

Rick3401 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fantastic!! My local Advance Auto had 2 in stock. Purchased on web with BIG50 code and got the $50 bucks off picked up in store an hour later. The guy at Advance said both were fully charged and ready to go. Installed an hour after that. Thanks to a couple good write ups on Prius Chat the install was a piece of cake. My original 12V (2004) was giving some problems. The first thing I noticed right off was the ICE only ran for a couple of minutes at start up where before it would run for 10 minutes or so to charge the old 12V. Driving around town the ICE barely came on at all. Very cool. A big thanks to the OP.

19. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are very welcome, I get a lot of good free advice on priuschat so its nice to be able to give a little back in return once in a while, even if its nothing more than a tip to the cheapest way to get a new 12V battery.

20. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just ordered mine online. The $50 coupon, free shipping and no tax in New Mexico! Thanks for posting this info. My wife's 07 is ready for a new battery but I was holding off. To good to pass up!
    Ed