1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15amp to 10amp wall plug

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by HydeLiYoung, Aug 24, 2022.

1. HydeLiYoung

HydeLiYoung New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in New Zealand.
    I was supplied a home plug but to my suprise I find the earth pin is a lot thicker than a regular pin.
    I found out that this is a 15amp plug but all my home outlets are 10amp.

Has anyone used a 15amp to 10amp conversion/adaptor?

2. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You don't want to plug something that needs 15 amps into a plug that can only supply 10 amps. That's asking for a fire. It sounds like you either need to upgrade your outlet to 15 amps or get a different EVSE(the cord that plugs into your car) that won't draw more than 10 amps.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

is new zealand 120 or 240 volts?

if 240, 10 amp may be enough, but i would check the manual. you probably need an electrician.

you can't convert 15 to 10 amp, but there are adapters for the correct applications

4. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it only 15amp? Because usually it allows a lower amp and the highest amp. Mine can do both 7.5amp or 15amp, depending on my outlet’s output.

Double check your charger and see what its exact inputs. You can look up the brand, model, or serial number and see the exact specs.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the prime has that option, but the pip didn't

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not finding an Owners Manual for your country.

But according to Toyota New Zealand, you need a real 15 Amp circuit. Period.

Unless your Owners Manual shows a way to reduce the charging current to under 10 amps, then you are stuck with needing to upgrade your home by installing a 15 amp circuit from the circuit breaker panel.

Toyota Used Prius Plug-in Hybrid - Toyota NZ

"Do I need a special charger?

No, you can simply plug the Prius straight into a 15Amp New Zealand electrical outlet. Talk to your dealer about charging requirements for your home. "

7. RobPHV

RobPHV New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My understanding is the ZVW35 has a 2kW onboard charger when on 240V, so 9 amps.
    I use a hardware store (Bunnings Australia) 10A wall to 15A socket converter with RCD and over-current protection.
    I originally got the adapter for my inverter welder but it works fine with the Prius.

bisco likes this.