1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15K maintenance requirements for 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by satsuke, Jan 24, 2007.

1. satsuke

satsuke Junior Member

I just had a question on saving $ and the standard service on the 06 prius.

I've called two different dealers in my area to see what needs to be done and at what cost.

One dealer (the closest .. Superior Toyota in Merriam, KS) indicates the 15K maintenance is just another oil change and tire rotation .. with the possible added cost of replacing an air filter (didn't specify if cabin or engine). for around $120.00 .. they charge $60 for just the rotate and oil change normally .. though the guys I've talked to have all been clueless on the Prius 5000 mile maintenance schedule

Another dealer (Molle Toyota in Kansas City, MO) indicated at 15K that an oil change, rotate and balance, cabin air filter and engine air filter change, as well as a read drum brake readjust and detailed inspection. All for around $200.

My question is .. if all things being equal, the dealer charging $60 for what is normally a $25 oil service, and several shops in my area offer linetime balance and rotate for ~$15 per tire.

As far as toyota official things .. what's the official 15k interval checklist? I read something on the toyota web site indiciating basically just a general inspection to go with the oil change and rotation up until 30k or so. And I can figure out how to reset the dashboard maintenance required monitor and / or get to the cabin air filter if it's located where I think it is behind the glove box panel.

Anyway, any suggestions? I'd love to keep going to toyota service for everything ,. but the $ != better service or price.

Thanks

Brian

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just do a LOF, inspect the different filters and change if necessary and rotate the tires If necessary. Check the different Toyota dealers website, alot of them have coupons you can print out for LOF's ect.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd think at 15K, oil change and tire rotation are all that's needed.

Both air filters are pretty simple DIY items, and I thought the interval was 30K on them (I don't have the book handy, but just did 15K not long ago and didn't change them). There's a thread on the cabin air filter here, it is pretty easy to get to once you figure out how to get the lower glove box out. Engine air filter is just like any other car, a few clips, no tools needed. I think the cabin filter is around $20 and the engine filter $10 or so, just guessing, haven't had to buy either yet.

If the other inspections make you feel better, then by all means go for it, but it would seem like a waste of money to me. There should be no brake wear, and adjusting drum brakes should not be necessary at 15K, or probably ever etc. etc.

4. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(satsuke @ Jan 24 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]380063[/snapback]</div>
    Where is your Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide? (It should be with your manual.) You need to find it and read it unless you want to just hand your wallet to the dealer and say "Help yourself." Make sure you are informed BEFORE you go to the dealer. Dealers like to add on all sorts of extra things that aren't needed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 24 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]380097[/snapback]</div>
    You're right. I just looked up mine and the 15K is just oil, tires, and visually inspect a bunch of things. 30K for the cabin air filter.

5. NightRider

NightRider New Member

yes, after thinking this through even further, I agree that the
    15K should not cost more than $20 something for the oil&filter,
    and cost for tire rotation, unless you get that for free.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NightRider @ Mar 16 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]407181[/snapback]</div>
    $56.45 for an oil change and tire rotation!? :eek:
    Around here that's $21 at Firestone. Plenty of places charge $20 or less for an oil change and $20 or less to rotate tires.

7. itsme

itsme New Member

in mis - missouri an oil change alone is going for 29.95 and up I found a toyota dealer service special coupon on the net for $ 16.95 LOF and it does not have an expiration date will print up a few!!!