1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

16" rubber?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by mnaf, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mnaf

mnaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I need to pull the trigger on a vehicle really soon and I'm leaning toward the Prius c. I really want non-cloth (factory) seats so I'm considering the c4.

What's really got me stumped is the 15" vs. 16" wheel choice. Ride quality aside, its basically a tradeoff between turning radius and handling. I've struggled to rationalize it different ways - even "had my way" with a 15" c4 on a test drive and it handled pretty darn good. I do about 900 mi./mos. in 70-75mph highway driving so stability is important to me and I tend to keep my vehicles a while so the decision is heavier (I enjoy driving "spiritedly" :) ).

Regardless of the car's wheel size, I would install a strut tower brace and a rear sway bar.

My current car has a turning circle of ~39' and the 16" c4's is 37' so it's a slight improvement. However, the 15" c4's 31' circle is dizzingly tight.....and refreshing.

So my questions are:
    Availability of LRR 16" rubber? There isn't anything out there - does this concern anyone? From experience I know LRR alone will add ~+5% mileage. Opinions on future availability of rubber in this less-common size?
    There seems to be more variety in 15".

How are people liking their c's with the 16" wheels? Any noticable mileage reductions from these (and non-LRR) tires? Anyone care to give a detailed review of their likes/dislikes of the 16" option??

I know there is the option of new wheels and using, say, 185/65R15's but I'd rather not go through that right now - this decision is between 15" & 16".

If Toyota didn't actually change the steering rack to fit 16's on the c, it would be an easy decision, darnnit.

Thanks.

2. hexcode

hexcode New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also thinking about getting a Prius C4 and the 15" vs 16" rims also has me wondering which to get. On the one hand I hear the ride is much smoother with the 15", along with better turning and better MPG. The 16" look better I think, but worse turning and not a smooth of a ride. I am leaning toward the 15"...

3. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have 16". I had C3 on the test drive with 15" rims. Can't really say that I’ve noticed the huge difference in ride between 15" and 16" rims. Yeh, my 16" are kind of hard on a sharp shaped bumps but it is commonly for any low profile tires. On the other hand I do love sharp handling of my steering and a sporty look. Yep, turning radius a bit bigger compared to 15" rims, but in my case it is not a big deal. The reason why I didn't buy a C3 is because it had a sunroof (which was no-no to me) and I preferred black monotone color of my dash compared to silver on C3, and since C4 on 16" rims I've got was the only one available at that time, I bought my C4 and love it ever since.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately there are no real LRR tire available in that size. I would like to think there will be someday soon. If you want max efficiency then get the 15" wheels. If you want better looks then get the 16s.

5. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Can't really say that I loose MPG on my 16". My daily commute 14-15 miles one way and I am averaging 63-67 MPG on the daily basis in the morning w/o AC on and 56-65 MPG on the way back with AC set on 77 in auto all the time when it is a 100F outside. I can make 73-76 MPG in the morning when I am in the mood and I have extra couple minutes to do so. The speed limits on my way are between 30 and 45 MPH.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you run a set of OE 15" wheels on this car? If not then you cannot say one way or the other. All you can say is that you still get increible fuel economy even with the 16s. Please don't make the same argument the Prius Five owners try to make when they say they are not losing fuel economy with their 17" wheels simply because they can get EPA numbers. :)

7. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am not trying to make any argument here... I just gave my personal opinion with regards to my experience with the 16" rims I have, and my personal MPG observations compaired to the C's average on Fuelly. There is nothing in my post above says that 15" rims are sucks and 16" rocks. All I said that i can't really say that I loose MPG.

8. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    All F8L is saying is that, although you get fantastic mpg with the 16", you can never really know if you're "losing" mpg compared to what you would be getting with the 15" because you have not/cannot make a direct comparison. You can assume that it doesn't make much of a difference, given the numbers you're getting, but you have no way of knowing if the size of the tires has an effect. Science!

But, of course, if you're happy with the mpg you're getting with the 16" (which you very clearly should be), then that doesn't matter!

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ashley summed it up and I'm still very impressed with the mileage you're getting. Great job! :)

10. mnaf

mnaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, those are impressive numbers!
    Curious - why was a sunroof a no-no to you?

11. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just had bad experience with them in the past (not on C or any other prius) and there is no prolonged period of time when I can use it here in TX anyway. So taking it into consideration I thought it's not worth $800+ IMHO

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since it is not packaged with the solar ventilation option I totally agree with you. Even here in Sacramento I have to keep my sunroof covered due to excess heat beating down on you through the glass. I really only used it during the spring and even then only during slow city cruising because of the noise.

13. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's exactly right. So taking all these facts into consideration I thought that I can find a better use of these $800+ which Toyota charges for the sunroof.

14. mnaf

mnaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I’m in the same boat – I don’t use the sunroof in my current car so much due to heat - so it’s only open certain times of the day/season.

Unfortunately, it’s nearly impossible to find a c4 in CA without a sunroof so I’ll have to order one from Toyota.
    I also like the shape of the c's roof better without the sunroof.

15. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Looking on my PC4 from the height of the time passed by, I believe it was meant to be. I didn't see this car on the parking lot from the beginning. When I was talking to the dealer I specifically pointed out that I want C3, not less not more. But when he offered to take a look at C4 after I test drove C3, I was actually sold for C4. The color was exactly the one I was looking for, I felt in love with the fake leather seats, C4 on the 16" rims looked sporty to me, and I didn't really want a silver dashboard of C3 in my car (even though I could live with that fact).

16. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Im getting about 55mpg on a tank more or less with my 16s. I don't know about how the 15s feel but the C does handle very well and that's what makes it so much fun! Taking corners over 30mph and gliding help keep my momentum up hehe! If you like spirited driving then 16s are for you!

17. NotreDame_MCOB11

NotreDame_MCOB11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait- you can order what you want from Toyota? I've actually been waiting for a month for a dealer to find a C4 in CA that was blue streak metallic, has the 16s and moonroof, and the black softex. I had no idea you could just order one from Toyota. I'm told one like what I want will arrive in mid July. If I can't find someone to sell me that at or below MSRP, I'd love to know how to order one from Toyota, if you already know how.

18. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    When I was buying my C, my dealer told me if I want to have a car the way I want it - they can do it, but it will take couple of months to get it here. It was back in late March, so the wait time by now might be a little bit longer. But as an answer to your question, there should be no problem for the dealer to order a car specifically made to meet your taste.

NotreDame_MCOB11 likes this.