1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

16" Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill60546, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, Steve (800-908-6968) from Carson Toyota has responded in his usual timely manner. However, he advises that 16" wheels are available only from Japan at $310 each. :crazyeyes: So much for that idea. Too bad.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch... that hurts. They show us no love here.... I'd love the 16" rims, the body kit, and lowering springs if they were at a reasonable price, however after bringing them across the pond, they're just not worth it :-/

3. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

You've got a good grasp of the basics here, but your conclusions are incorrect. The contact patch and mu-slip curve of the tire are equally critical for control of ABS, TCS, VSC, etc. specifically because the amount of hydraulic pressure change (translated to frictional change) needed to decelerate or accelerate the wheel for a given vehicle speed and wheel slip depends on the response of the tire/road interface. This is not a binary thing. It may seem like it could be, but maintaining slip at a near constant level requires a system response closely tailored to the response of the system. VSC is equally critical since the amount of time and pressure for which a specific wheel is braked to correct an undesired trajectory again depends on the system response. Yaw control is also a common feature of most ABS systems now in production. Without calibrating to the system response, ABS could have a loss of steering while braking and stopping distances would generally increase. For TCS, high slip levels could damage differentials and low slip levels could greatly reduce acceleration. For VSC the response could undercorrect or overcorrect, resulting in the continuation of or the creation of a skid condition. The US version drum brake response is likely much different than the Euro rear disc response.

There is a lot of work done to try to generate robust systems which can handle different versions of the same model, which often have different wheels, tires, engines, and transmissions. However, this ability is limited, and there is certainly no generic "one works for all" ABS or TCS or VSC setup. Development and testing is not done for non-OEM specified tires or tire sizes. This I know for sure, as I am specifically in this business for a living and have been doing it since the mid 80's. The only way to know for sure if there are different calibrations used for different models or options is to either verify the brake controller ECU part number is different, or have an inside information source who can tell you if the car "learns" its configuration through other boxes, such as the powertrain controller or body computer, and selects the correct calibration tables based on this finding. In these cases, unless the corresponding box is changed to indicate the new configuration (such as Euro with disc vs US with drum) the wrong calibration tables will be used and performance will suffer.

4. thockin

thockin New Member

Has anyone convinced their dealer to sell a car with 16" wheels, thereby avoiding the extra-set-of-wheels problem?

Cost?

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Any dealer would throw on a set of "Premium 16" Alloy Wheels" as a dealer added markup item. Would they have the right tires and be similar to the Euro Prius? Probably not.

6. thockin

thockin New Member

Well, I don't really care if they are the same as the Euro wheels, so long as they're nice. Not having done this, will I be better just doing it retail and then finding an outlet for teh old wheels, or will the dealer actually discount the new wheels by the old wheels?

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There's often a significant markup going through a dealer. They generally won't discount from the old ones as they generally have no use for the old ones.

You'd be best off getting them retail, then selling the old rims on eBay to someone who wants a replacement set, or who may want a second set for winter use.

8. nvherknav

nvherknav New Member

I’ve been reading numerous posts on tire and wheel size with interest. Having equipped numerous vehicles with +1, +2, and +3 tire and wheel combinations, I’ve come to the conclusion that size does matter, as does looks.

Numerous tire sites list tire and wheel package options all the way up to 18†wheels. I am currently looking at Akuza AKA 218 Sublime wheels (chrome) 17x7.5, and Toyo Proxes FZ4 215/45ZR17 All-Season tires. This package has been tested and installed on a CA 2004 Prius in Nor Cal (www.bigwheels.net). Bigger size rims come with lower profile tires, so the overall tire diameter remains the same as your original tires.

All arguments aside, the look and the feel of less flexible rubber under the car is worth it.

NVHERKNAV
    Reno, NV.

9. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

Why settle for 16's..... 17" Wheels Look Much Better

I've gone to 17x7.5" Arelli Assassyn's with 205/40R17" Nankang's all the way around and I have no regrets yet. Better handling and stopping. No more wandering and gas mileage isn't affected as much as I suspected ( no more than four or five-ish) and they SURE look better - to me at least.

Outside total diameter is identical to the OEM setup. No changes to speedometer or odometer or NAV.

10. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    What should I get for winter wheels/tires?

11. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To each his own, but I'd prefer a more euro look such as that which is shown on the 16" Prius wheel.

W/ the alternate tire/wheel combination, have you noticed any mileage drop?

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the difference in mileage is not .1%

the circumference of a circle is 2*3.14(Pi)*R (radius) or Pi*diameter.

so the 15 in wheel would roll 47.12"
    the 16" wheel would roll 50.27"

as you can see that would be 6% greater distance. which is significant in
    my book. BUT

we would also need to take into consideration the amount of energy
    needed to rotate the wheel. and the greater the radius, the more
    energy is required to rotate that wheel at a given velocity.

look at it as leverage in reverse which it is. the longer the handle, the
    more turning power exerted at the point of rotation. Conversely, the
    longer the handle ( or the greater the diameter) the greater the amount
    of energy necessary to make the wheel turn. so the loss of efficiency
    can be partially attributed to additional torque required to turn the bigger
    wheel.

now for the low profile tires, if the diameter doesnt change, then the
    mileage shouldnt change. or at least the change would be the result
    of the differences in the rolling resistance of the tires etc.

13. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My concern was the following:

* Mass of the different wheels (inertia)
    * Rolling resistance of the tires (contact patch, tire pressure, tread pattern and compound, etc.)

14. boa8

boa8 New Member

I agree htmlspinnr, these 17'' wheels are just HORRIBLE. [Broken External Image]:http://www.smailiki.nm.ru/med/med_54.gif

100% Kitsch.

Owner of such a car should be promptly sterilized [​IMG] to prevent further breeding of such a tasteless specie.

15. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your analysis is incorrect. You have correctly calculated the wheel affect, however the total diameter is the wheel plus the tire. The increased wheel diameter is offset by the smaller diameter, or lower profile, tire that is used (smaller aspect ratio). Thus the rolling radius is unchanged from the 15 inch setup if you choose the correct tire size.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    mdac:

your analysis of my analysis is incorrect and incomplete.

you conveniently skipped this part of my post.

now for the low profile tires, if the diameter doesnt change, then the
    mileage shouldnt change. or at least the change would be the result
    of the differences in the rolling resistance of the tires etc.

also my post was in response to the guy who stated that the change in diameter would only cause a .1% change in rolling distance.

as for your argument... see bolded text above.

17. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting....your last two paragraphs did not appear when I responded. My comments are thus invalid.

My apologies.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hey no problem....

i have been guilty of overlooking posts also.
    but it does raise an interesting possibility. i kinda
    remember the post in question being one where i hit
    the enter button by mistake and then had to edit it.
    the edited part would have been something added on
    at the end and i wonder if for some reason that part
    didnt show up for you. the edit would have happened
    several hours before your post though so maybe it
    didnt have anything to do with it. but i have
    discovered several times in the past that when dealing
    with computers, nothing should be ruled out.

19. boa8

boa8 New Member

If someone wants fancy wheels (without compromising on taste), that's the way to go, I beleive:

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are those "spinners"? I like the look more than the previous, but not the "blade on blade" style.