1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

160k miles - finally performed serpentine, PCV and spark plugs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Doorknob, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Doorknob

Doorknob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took about an hour or so, but finally remembered to do the serpentine, PCV and spark plugs on the Prius. The belt was in really bad shape. It had cracks all over it. I never really took a hard look since it's pretty far down, but looked the other day and realized I've really neglected the Prius lately.

Anyhow, just wanted to post some resources I used:

Serpentine Belt Replacement:

** no need to lift your car or go under it... you can do the entire change from the top. It'll require that you reach way down into the prius, but it can be done. I didn't bother lifting.

PCV replacement:
    PCV replacement how-to with photos | PriusChat
    ** scroll down for some nominal torque values. Great tutorial with pics

Spark plugs
    spark plug replacement | PriusChat
    ** here's a pic of my plugs. 160k on original plugs. They were definitely slightly tough to get out, but came out. I'm so used to replacing plugs at 30k (on my other cars) and those come out easily/smoothly. The prius was definitely an eye opener. Glad I took care of it at 160k. If I could do it over again, I'd do it at the recommended 125k or earlier.

20160103_143310.jpg

Dino33ca likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just did mine 2 weeks ago. It was not necessary to take the wheel off. Was very easy to thread the belt on from the top with the tensioner one one thread .

Also its a good idea to get the belt on but not to tight then run the car in Inspection Mode for about 15 mins. Not only does this break the belt in but its a real good idea to get a flashlight and take a close look at the belt area while its running. Make sure its all good and straight down there. After about 10-15 mins the belt will be alot looser and then can be final tightened down. To do a final tighten on a brand new belt and bolt it back in and drive away will sometimes disappoint you.