1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17 inch or 15 inch wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by marcinpisz, Aug 3, 2009.

1. marcinpisz

marcinpisz New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    17 inch or 15 inch wheels? I'm thinking of getting 17 inch wheels with the LED headlamps are stick with halogen headlamps and 15 inch wheels on the Canadian premium model. The premium model, which is equivalent to package to in the United States, except that comes with the backup camera that is installed inside the rearview mirror. Spend another couple of thousand dollars and get the touring model, which is equivalent to package three in the United States, it's basically the same as the premium package except it adds LED headlamps and 17 inch wheels. 17 inch wheels are probably better on dry pavement, but this is a very northern climate so winter performance is very important. Also the 15 inch smaller and narrower tires probably are better in the rain as well. LED headlamps make the car look like a luxury automobile at night, but are extremely expensive but don't offer any other benefits. The energy-saving is a joke a slightly better driving techniques can get you a lot further than these $2000 headlamps. I might still get the touring package thing you had to put the 15 inch rims with winter tires in the winter and keep the 17 inch for this summer is it's a dry and not very rainy climate. Anybody know if you can put the 15 inch rims on the 17 inch Prius. I know there is steering changes as well, but I'm not sure that the bolt pattern is the same. Would also cause me grief with the speedometer showing the wrong speed. Even then the 17 inch wheels would be expensive when they need replacing. I guess it all comes down to which combination is more practical:), versus which combination is just cool but very expensive:rockon:. I'm also not a big fan of the self-leveling headlights, just one more thing to take down further down the road.

1 person likes this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

How do you get $2000 for LED headlamps? The price difference between a base IV and V is $1470 here in the U.S. For that difference you get 17" rims, foglamps and LED headlights. Considering LED headlamps in an Escalade are part of a $8000 package and in a Lexus come in an ultra high end LS model (or the upcoming HS 250h) $1470 isn't much to pay considering how much the rims alone cost.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    He's in Canada. Up here prices may vary. :) Check it out at Toyota.ca.

The 17" wheels have the same bolt pattern as the 15" wheels, and the wheel/tire combo of both have the same overall diameter, so no speedometer issues. You -can- buy both sets of wheels if you like and change between them. Just don't put one to three of one type on with one to three of the other type. It will make the handling rather strange. ;) When you change types you will notice the steering response change (not from the car's mechanical response changing, but from the change in tire physics).

If you get the 17" wheels and change the tires to Nokian WR or WRG2 you would get good performance in winter, in rain, and in summer. A little less expensive than two sets of wheels.

If you get the 15" wheels and change the tires to the Nokians, you will notice a nice tight turning capability, along with good performance in winter, in rain, and on warm dry roads. This would be your lowest cost option with really good tires.

Yup, decisions decisions!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem is that the 17" are low profile so I don't know how they'll stand up to potholes. I've hit many here in this wonderful city damn it and I'm very surprised I haven't bent my rim yet (I've hit these from 50-80km/h). Note that my front rims are the size of a temporary spare tyre (155/70R15) so even with WRs, won't the 17s be susceptible to damage in the winter and season changes??

That's one thing that held me back from the Touring Package. I like the look of the 17" alloys and the LED headlights but I think I'll stick with 15s and get a larger cushion of tyre.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had thought of that but didn't see anything in for his location so just took a stab at him being in the US. :cool: