1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" Modellista wheels available

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Hammersmith, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I contacted a couple JDM importers about the 17" Modellista wheels and BlackHawkJapan got back to me. I don't know if they were already on their website and I missed it, or if my inquiry caused them to add them, but either way they're now available for order for $279 apiece($1116 for a set of 4).

I don't know if switching to these wheels from the stock 19" on the upper trims will give you the full milage back as that's more a function of the two wheel's respective weights, but at least there's now a non-ugly option(IMO) for those that want 17" wheels/tires for whatever purpose.

https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/en-us/products/modellista-msc13-47001?_pos=1&_sid=1053efd6e&_ss=r

(For those that don't know, these wheels are available in Japan through Toyota as an manufacturer approved option. So we know they will fit.)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's not a bad price, good to know you an replace the 19's with 17's

3. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Is any speedometer recalibration required going from the 19 " to 17 " wheels, or are you able to select tire sizes so that the O.D. doesn't change?

4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Since I also don't like the wheels on the Gen5 Prius'.

For the people that have never ordered from Japan, or fully looked into it, be aware that Shipping is Expensive!

Also, many sellers in Japan, like BlackHawk require an in person signature.
    So, that can require time off, and a trip to your nearest major shipping depot, for that shipper.

Fwiw, I've ordered a number of things from BlackHawk Japan.
    With DHL, you can often have the package shipped to another DHL major shipping depot. But, be aware, that's not common, it can be hard to talk to real people, and it can take many days.

Fwiw, for the Total Cost, with shipping to Boston:

Image:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1406/5370/products/wheel_03l_df692818-f7d4-4c3b-bb8a-7c40e3ae8941.jpg

wheel-MODELLISTA-MSC13-47001.jpg

Quantity: 4

MODELLISTA 17 INCH WING DANCER XX ALUMINUM WHEEL 17x6.5J 40 FOR TOYOTA PRIUS MXWH60 MXWH61 MXWH65 MSC13-47001

Subtotal: ¥145,728
    Shipping: ¥108,459
    Total: JPY¥254,187

So, that's ~$813 in just shipping, for 4 wheels, to Boston.

For more Modellista parts, for the Gen5 Prius, see:
    MODELLISTA | PRIUS
    https://www.modellista.co.jp/en/partslist/pdf/prius.pdf
    (links likely to be invalid, some later time in the future.)

#2 prius16, Apr 10, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    HacksawMark and bisco like this.
  5. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Jesus. I didn't take it quite that far on the wheels. I had looked at some other stuff a week or so back and checked the shipping cost, but it wasn't nearly so bad; maybe 15% of the value of the shipment, which I felt was reasonable. In retrospect, I should have realized the items I had in my cart at the time were much smaller and lighter. But I didn't expect the shipping to jump all the way to 70% of the value of the order.

I still might get the wheels from BlackHawk or someone else, but I'm going to wait until I actually have my car, and I'm going to also wait until gen5 parts are more available so I can get them all in one shipment. I'm considering $2k-4k in different upgrades(before shipping). Some are easy to track down because I've already got the part numbers, but I don't even know where to start with some of them because I might need to find the Toyota part numbers for accessories/parts available only in Japan. I've got a good handle on the Toyota USA parts system, but I don't know crap about the Toyota Japan system.

dbat23 likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With the OEM tire sizes, the 17" tires are within a half inch smaller in diameter than the 19". Overall diameter being nearly the same is the norm with factory options.

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Or just get the SE.

8. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Nope. The panoramic view monitor is a primary reason I'm getting a 2023, and that's only available on a Limited or XSE Premium. Plus heated+ventilated seats are a godsend up here in the upper midwest. ;)

TGrracie and Gokhan like this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, PVM only comes with the advanced-technology package on XSE Premium or limited premium package with options on Limited.

Problems:
    • advanced-technology package not compatible with solar roof
    • still haven't seen a single car with advanced-technology package or limited premium package with options
    • still haven't seen a single car with solar roof either

10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Well, I ended up deciding on a Limited rather than Prime XSE+, so I'm good there. Got my deposit down and my VIN assigned. I'm expecting it in June or July sometime because it was allocated to the dealership just last Monday.

Vneck and Gokhan like this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It has PVM? You know that PVM is not standard on the Limited at all, right?

12. Vneck

Vneck New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Same here,the county tax and tap fee is insane ( depends on car value, plug in or none plug in ). I may end up getting the regular prius xle with optional 12in screen( for the look only).

13. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Not always… I remember my '05 AWD Sienna had 225/60/17's vs the 215/65/16s of the fwd models (other than the XLE limited, which also had 225/60/17's).

If AWD owners bought 215/65/16 snows, Toyota's usual recommendation, the speed was off about 2.5%. A recalibration of the software was recommended when the seasonal swaps were done. I remember choosing a different tire size (215/70/16?) that worked pretty well and avoided dealer intervention.

#11 Nntw, Apr 12, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  14. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yes, I know. Which is why I used the Limited Premium Package as one of the filter categories when I did my inventory search on Toyota's website. And then double-checked the option list on the one I selected to be certain. Actually, most of the Limiteds that are allocated to my area have the LPP. (Currently 14 out of 18 within 500 miles.)

Gokhan likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Talk about a seller's market: buyers are willing to wait months with deposits placed, pay extra thousands to dealerships, swap out wheels (for other pricey wheels), procure/install spares, cobble storage for same.

16. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

You should spend some time on a VW ID4 forum... it's REALLY scary over there!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Oh, good, the only package available in the current Prius Prime inventory is the digital key—no solar roof, no PVM, no digital rearview mirror, etc. I wonder if that's because the car is already so expensive and they don't want to make it further expensive.

18. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if to get those Modellista it's so damn expensive, i'm going to look for some nice and cheap 17" bicolor wheel cover :)

Like:

31214-S-01.jpg

schwarz.jpg

#16 Maxwell61, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    TGrracie and reallyreal like this.
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Putting on the smaller snows meant the car was going 88mph when the speedometer read 90mph. It was 1.1mph different at 50mph. Since the speedometer was likely set to read high from the factory, this sounds like Toyota giving the dealer extra business.

It's a 1.9% difference between the PP's tire sizes.
    Tire Size Calculator

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Speedo may be high, but odo's are supposed to be pretty accurate (with stock tire sizes). Somebody got spanked for that once, think Honda?

21. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Different tire models of the same size can have a difference in diameter. Then that diameter changes as the tire wears. The regulations have an error range written in for speedometers and odometers. Speedometers likely read high in that range because manufacturers got tired of speeders blaming them, and the fraud lawsuits got them setting odometers closer to actual, or even low.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  22. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nobody buys TE37's anymore?

PhoS likes this.