1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" Rims on Gen II (Pics)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PhazonPhobe, Feb 23, 2011.

1. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The one big thing I have noticed with this rim upgrade is performance in the rain. I do not notice ANY hydroplaning, whereas with the stock ones, any little pothole you could feel it dramatically move or jerk. I don't notice as much slippage from sudden acceleration from a dead stop or on turns. And it seems like the back drum brakes don't lock up as dramatically.

Overall, haven't really noticed a drop in MPGs. Maybe just SLIGHTLY, but nothing too dramatic. Maybe 1 or 2 MPG.

The speedo is still 1 mph above the actual speed (as it was with stock wheels/tires).

And the looks...omg.

No regrets.

2. bu08usc11

bu08usc11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I second all of this.

I haven't had one traction control/handling issue since these went on.

My MPG has stayed the same or gone up...but I credit that to anything being better than the OEM tires.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will likely be getting new shoes when I need new tires. Could be a longgg time though. :)

4. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely, by far worth it. I'm sure the majority of the stability does come from the upgraded tires like bu08usc11 said. Going from 185 to 215 really does make quite a difference.

The added rolling resistance probably does add to the fuel consumption, but to me, it's worth the 1 or 2 mpg hit to have the added traction (not to mention the looks).

5. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    This is one of the best looking Prius I found. This is not my vehicle, but if your interested in rims, these look good.

Attached Files:

6. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is literally NO sidewall. Imagine how uncomfortable that would be. Plus, that look doesn't really appeal to me.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's going to more than a 1-2MPG hit unless you like to kid yourself and not make careful calculations. lol

8. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I second F8L on this... even when I was running with the stock Gen III OEM 17's, I experienced a 4-6 MPG drop. If you're comfortable with the mileage hit, I say definitely swap out the rims. I think the Prius looks better with upsized tires anyways. If you looking for less of a mileage hit, maybe consider 16s with LRR tires. I switched mine out for lightweight 16s and now experiencing a true 1-2 MPG hit (calculated).

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^ what lightweight 16s are you running?

10. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm rolling on Motegi Traklite 16x6.5. They are roughly 12.1 lbs each. Tires are Conti ContactPro at 20lbs each. I believe my current set up is actually lighter (or the same weight) as the Gen III OEM 15 set up.

Link to pictures from the So Cal meet. In the picture with the two WGMs, mine is on the right. I defnitely need some spacers to push the wheels out a bit further.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/local-c...al-prius-meet-pix-02-26-11-a.html#post1273555
    My size is not listed, but here is a listing of the wheel weights for their more common sizes:
    Motegi Trak Lite Wheels Rims from Tire Factory

11. SOY78

SOY78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have some 17" OZ superlegara left from my Celica I will probably try to put on my 06 prius just to see the difference :) I'll post photos when finished.

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. It's too hard to see in the picture however. Traklites 1.0 or 2.0? I was considering those long ago.

13. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Traklite 1.0. Yeah, the matte black doesn't show up very well in pictures.

14. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, I've already swapped them out. What's done is done.

Also, I don't particularly feel like paying over a grand for wheels/tires, especially if there's not going to be a huge difference in the MPG drop. You're still going to worry about the rolling resistance problem because of the bigger tires.

You have to figure:
    Currently, those Traklite 1.0's are averaging about $300 each. As I'm sure you're fully capable of adding that up, that's a total of $1,200 ... WITHOUT tires. For a good set of tires, you'll be forking out another good deal of cash. In my case, the Yokohama S32As, which come on the TC rims run about $250 each. There's another $1,000. Grand total of $2,200 before tax. Tax here is 8.75%. Brings the total up to $2,392.50. That's $2,042.50 more than I spent. We can round that off to $2,000.

How long, or rather, how much gas would it take to make up for that $2,000?

Let's go ahead and assume I'm taking that 4 mpg hit, bringing my average down to about 42 mpg. It would take nearly a whole gas tank, 10.5 gallons, for those 4 mpg to catch up to ONE gallon. Seeing as gas is about $3.50 a gallon here, it would take about 571.4 gallons, or nearly 52 full tanks, or approximately 24,000 miles to catch up to that $2,000 difference. At the rate I've been going, that would take me close to 3 years to accomplish. I don't even plan on keeping it that long.

This is, of course, assuming I really do take that 4 mpg loss, I drive by myself the entire 24,000 miles, and I never take trips where I'll get less than or more than 42 mpg. bu08usc11 can vouch for the fact that there really isn't much of a difference at all. He claims to actually have GAINED 1-2 mpg on average. Personally, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Although the Scion rims/tires are a bit heavier than the factory Prius ones, it's only 10-12 pounds difference per rim. That's really only about 45 pounds. Considering I only weigh 135 lbs, while most male Prius drivers are generally quite a bit heavier than that, I'm REALLY not concerned about adding the extra bit of weight.

I haven't been able to test a real full tank of regular driving (drove to the mountains and back on one. Was having misfire problems on the other and had to get a tune up), but from what I've noticed, nothing has really changed. I still average about the same, whether I'm on the street, freeway, or driving around school.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't trust your math or analytical skills with a 10' pole. :p

If you are happy then that is all that matters but please do correct calculations and try to be as scientific as possible when you measure your MPG changes or else your information is misleading to people who care about MPG. I'm not slamming you here. I just want to keep things honest and as accurate as possible. :)

16. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Luckily for me, I found someone selling the Traklites on craigslist. They were brand new and unused for $500 (for all 4). I also found another seller on craigslist selling the Conti tires, brand new take offs, for $300. So all in all $800 for a set of new rims and tires. Guess I made out okay.

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Phazon makes great points. His math might not be accurate but I definitely get the idea. :D

The best thing to do is go with a rim that you love and matches the car. I've been searching for a year+. It's so hard to match Magnetic Gray.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet deal! :)

His only point is that he bought something used and saved a bunch of money. The take home message is that he still lost MPG and is still in the red when compared to the stock setup. If the choice is between buying a used setup that gets worse MPG or a new setup that reduces the MPG lost but costs a grip more than he obviously made the wisest choice. :)

19. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All I'm trying to say is that for the price, it seemed worth it....possibly to make up for everything else I've spent money on for the car (system, lights, accessories, etc etc).

I think hybrid owners can get a bit too caught up in overall MPG. Maybe it's because I come from driving 11 mpg (sometimes less) sports cars, but it really doesn't bother. Anything over 40 is plenty for me and incredible to others. The Prius is a hideous car, plain and simple. If it takes a few sacrificed MPGs to spruce it up, so be it.

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1!! People ask me all the time why I bother modding my Prius. And this is what I tell them:

Consider a teenager who has been privileged all his life. He knows he's going to college so when he gets there, it's hardly special for him. He'll graduate but might not stand out among his class. In other words, his education had not done much for him.

Now consider a teenager who grows up in poverty. He dreams of college but knows that realistically, it's out of his reach. Then give that kid a full scholarship. He's not going to squander his education. He might even end up more successful than the privileged child. In other words, his education made a huge difference in his life.

Now whose education was more valuable? Obviously, the second teenager. He started at the bottom and nobody expected him to succeed.

Modifying a Prius is the same principle: it needs it the most. When you modify a BMW for looks, you aren't doing much for it. After all, a sports car will look good on its own. But when you modify a Prius, you are transforming an ugly duckling into the swan princess or whatever. Much more dramatic, and much cooler. In fact, side-by-side it might look even better than that BMW.

After I explain all this, people say, "oh yeah your car looks better than that one [other Priuses]." Well no shit.