1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" tire confussion

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Priusxrs, May 20, 2013.

1. Priusxrs

Priusxrs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So Ive had my new/used wheels on my car almost the same miles as the stock steelies now and noticed over a 7000 miles of each I got 1mpg better with the bigger heavier wheels. Granted some of my trips were different here and there but mostly to and from work. I would have though the stock ones would have done leaps and bounds better they are smaller and lighter??? Unless the way the car figures out mpg would have any factor on different tire size I know my speedo is bout 1mpg different with the 17s???

SGH-T889 ? 2

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You would need to specify the exact tire size you changed to and approximate weather conditions you drove on the stock tires vs. the 17s. I.e. the stock 15s in winter weather may be similar to 17s in warm summer weather...

3. Priusxrs

Priusxrs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    205 50 17 had the stocks on sept till mid dec then from mid dec till just now with the 17s but the weather in pa has been crazy so maybe it was something with weather

SGH-T889 ? 2

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A 205/50/17 is over 1" larger in diameter than your stock 175/65/15! Your odometer will be way off and your speedo will read slow instead of fast (speedo reads fast from the factory). Interesting you are observing a mpg gain despite the odometer error. Have you kept careful records of your FE on a spreadsheet or Fuelly?

5. Priusxrs

Priusxrs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No it was just from my trip odo. I was keeping track cause i was going to go with lrr 17 tires to see what difference between the 3 to see if it made sence but i have no idea thr best way to measure and i dont know if i really want to lose the grip of non lrr tires

SGH-T889 ? 2