1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" Tire Upgrade Reccs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Ken S, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have GOT to get rid of the Pirelli tires that came with my 2005 Prius. I don't think I could find a nosier tire anywhere.

I got the tires because SE Toyota basically jams them along with the 17 inch wheels down any buyer's throat. I'm not going to replace the wheels...so...

The tire size currently on the car is 215 45 ZR17.

Anyone have any suggestions...for a nice quiet, comfortable riding tire. I live in Florida so snow/ice isn't a consideration. Also most of my driving is local.

I'm not interested in getting new wheels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say the General Exclaim UPH. It is about the lightest tire out there in that size and looks decent. Not sure about the ride but at least 2 other chat members have em. They weigh about 3-4lbs less/ea than my Kumho tires :(

3. forman

forman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 9 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]317225[/snapback]</div>
    I just put the 17" General Exclaim UPH on. It seems to ride harder and a bit noisy. But it looks cool. I did not check the tire pressure after the install tho. I was checking the speed of the car with my gps. and the car is about 1 mph faster that the gps.

Attached Files:

4. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Ken,

I have Sumitomo HTR+ on my 17" rim's. Handling is great. I think someone recommended me Sumitomo HTR 200's but that was for stock sizes. I'm running the same size tire right now with the HTR's. Don't really have anything to compare with it for noise. But tirerack has pretty good review on it (Note:HTR 200 has better feedback). I'd try to get something lighter if possible. :) that's my two cents...

5. mongo

mongo Junior Member

We just put BF Goodrich g-Force Sport 205/45X17 on our Prius and I love them. I'm running them at 42/40 and they're more comfortable and quieter than my stock Integrity tires. They track wonderfully. Check the reviews on these at TireRack or at 1010tire. These are summer performance tires, not all season. I have snow tires for winters here in Michigan.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I have the General Exclaim UHP's on my Prius, size 215/45 17". I highly recommend them. THey are not too rough or too loud. They have tons of grip. Can't say too much about durability yet, as I only have a couple of thousand miles on them. Also, they are extremely inexpensive. Don't worry about the quality, as these are actually made by Continental, and they use their UHP technology on their own high end tires.

I'll try and post some more pics in my Mod thread.

7. F1italia

F1italia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys! I'm a new member and just picked up a 2010 Prius 2. The 15" wheels and tires are too small so I was thinking about getting aftermarket 17" ers. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks!!

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Funny: our 2010 Touring came with stock 215/45R17 Michelin Pilot's, and we're currently using Michelin X-ICE 195/65R15 (on steel Corolla rims). The O.D. is about the same, with the 15" actually slightly bigger OD.

9. F1italia

F1italia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you have a Prius V, right? Do think if I put on 17"ers the mpgs will decrease much? The handling should improve a lot, though!

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, MPG will decrease. Do a search. There is a lot of info on the subject.