1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" tires --- Pirelli or Continental ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by yeldogt, Mar 26, 2017.

1. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The 11 five is going to need new tires in about 10k.

At 25k+ per year --- it will be soon. The original Bridgestone tires lasted for 90k (tread sill above bars) .. the replacement Michelin Premier AS are now at 80k with more than enough to get the 90k. Car will have 180k at replacement and I'm sure this is it's last set with us. Quite amazing.

I normally don't like Michelin tires -- poor in wet weather. I found the AS to be fine (not great) -- obviously not stressed on a Prius.

I can't remember the name of the OE Bridgestone -- the AS never matched the OE's in the MPG department. When I went to replace the OE's the AS got good reviews and the OE's were $200 a tire and not LLR. I was surprised the AS returned lower MPG.

Tire Rack has both the Pirelli Cinturato P7 grand touring all season ($145) and the Continental Truecontact standard touring all season ($129) as "best sellers" .. both are rated as LLR (if that = anything).. both have rebates (60 and 70) The Pirelli come in at $521 and the Continental are a real bargain at $447 -- plus ship and install.

They both have rather standard -- typical tread design for this type of tire. Don;t see the Goodyears in this size from another thread.

Wondering if anyone has tried either?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pulling my hair out over this stuff too. Just chiming in to put this on my alerts, lol.

Our OEM are Michelin Pilot hx MXM4. The car has only 66K km's, and with snow tires on every winter I would think at most the Pilots have done 50K, and again: that's kilometers. They're all around 7/32" remaining, so on tread depth front a ways to go. But: tire manufacture date was February of 2009, so I do not know how much longer. They have micro cracking in between some of the treads, and are getting noisy. And I plug repaired one, about 4 years back, or more. Anyway, rambling...

I'm interested in your picks, especially the P7, and also considering Michelin Primacy MXM4, since they're more readily available at local outlets like Costco. Considered also Michelin Premier A/S, but there's been more than a few reports of mpg drop, and it doesn't have rim protector. Not that rim protectors are that effective.

Really not sure, struggling myself, look forward to comments.

Here's some discussion, started by The Critic, regarding the two Michelins:

Need New Tires - Primacy MXM4 vs. Premier A/S | Tires & Wheels | Bob Is The Oil Guy

I'll attach a CR rating chart I cobbled.How did you like those Premiers btw? Any complaints? In particular for rolling resistance.

Reading your post a bit more carefully: just ignore this post, I think you've summed up your impressions pretty completely.

Attached Files:

3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Looking over our hybrids -- they all have the same size 17" tires . 2011 five, 2016 4T and the 2015 Lexus CT. The Lexus has the Primacy MXM4's and the 4T has Yokohama Blue Earth S3Y. I like both of them vs the Premier that I put on the 11's .

Both the Lexus and the 4T are nicer cars vs the Gen3 -- it's hard to tell how much is from the tires. The 4T gets unbelievable MPG -- 60 is easy with a somewhat easy foot. The Lexus is a 45-46 MPG -- the Lexus has a firm ride

The Blue Earth's are over $200 each .. same situation as before with the OE Bridgestone. The MXM4's are $535 plus ship/mounting and are labled LRR green X vs the Premier LLR Michelin total performance (what ever that is). The Premier are less expensive.. and have a higher life rating of 640 vs 500 MXM4 ... the Blue Earth are only 340. We have about 10k on the 4T -- tires look new.

I would try the Continentals over another set of the Premier.

On paper the Continentals look great (but so did the Premier), and are a great price. life rating of 800 vs the Pirelli's 700.. only 20 LB.. Tire rack gives 2 years free road hazard ... have had to use it on both my Jaguar (Continental DSW's) and one of the Prius with the Premiers. You send them picture and they send you a tire -- it's that easy.

I should just order a set of the Truecontacts.

I'm considering Continentals for my older SUV (Pathfinder) -- I have always used Bridgestone on them (have owned three). But I don't love the new tread design. They are pushing 6 years - time to change.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a set of Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus 217/45/r17 last week. I tossed my old Michelin Pilot HXM4 at 4/32nd thread because they were slowly losing its color.

In my opinion, the Pirellis are a smooth, confortable and quiet ride. Feels a bit stiff though.

My mpg dropped from 4.2L/100km to 4.8L/100km, but I expect my fuel economy to get better after I wear them in.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the report!

The Michelin Pilot HXM4 are odd tires:

1. They are insanely expensive, retailing for around $250 apiece in Canada. Something like the Primacy HXM4 meanwhile, are around $190.

2. Down the page in ratings, on TireRack. And at the same time mixed review, some responders love them, others not so much. Maybe manufacturing differences??

3. Not listed as Low Rolling Resistance, at least not on TireRack. And yet...: ours have the "Green-X" label. (n)

Our Michelin Pilots (have same) have around 7/32" tread depth remaining. The car has 67K kilometers, but for over 4 months every winter the Michelin Pilot are swapped for snow tires: 15" Michelin X-Ice, which coincidentally seem to deliver around the same fuel economy. Our more-or-less lifetime average is currently 4.9 liter/100km.

Our Pilots are old-as-Methuselah though: the car was made in August '09 (we bought in November '10), and the tires were made in February '09. Just very minor cracking in the tread bosoms so far though.

I emailed Michelin Canada regarding the Michelin Pilot HXM4 status, regarding Green-X. Asking specifically: was there an OEM version of Michelin Pilot made specially, supplied to auto makers? And are the retail sold Pilots somewhat different, not quite as good for rolling resistance? Their reply was somewhat terse, basically saying "there's never been any change, the Pilots are all the same". They didn't confirm/deny the Green-X label is still on the tire. TireRack says not. Odd tire, lol.

6. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Canadian tire rebates end soon. I bought mine before May 15 for Pirelli. The other manufacturer rebates are until May 31.

Mendel Leisk likes this.