1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" Wheel/Tires & Mud Flaps Installed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by venom700, Sep 18, 2009.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Those with 17" tires, do they make the car handle much better? I really want to try a car with 17" tires before I buy, but no one has a prius V to test drive. I don't like the body roll. I'm not sure if it needs more suspension components to give a better ride, or simply a tire up grade. Does the Prius V have any different suspension components or tuning than the ones with 15" tires. I don't want to wait for a V and don't want leather so am likely to buy a II and change wheels/tires.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course the 17" wheel/tires make the car handle better but body roll is still pronounced. When going into a corner hot simply let the body roll and set then cut in harder. ;)

The ride will get worse, as in bumpier, with the 17's as will road noise in most cases but it's tough to have your cake and eat it too.

3. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The handling is better but it still needs more help. I am waiting on a 4-point underbrace to see what that does. Though a strut tower bar might help the most. The road noise does suck but mainly cause the doors on the Prius seem very thin.

4. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any new updates on who may be selling the mud flaps? I can't seem to find them on eBay :(

5. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don,

There is a mudflap thread. They are available on ebay.co.uk. I can't remember the name of the Toyota dealer selling them off the top of my head.

6. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ordered, thanks!

By the way, in case some folks don't know about it, eBates is a great way to earn cash back on online purchases. I'm only mentioning it because one of the MANY "stores" it works with is eBay. I use it anytime I'm buying something off eBay and I get 2% cash back on any purchase. Works great.

If it sounds like something you may be interested in, use this link so we both can get $5 when you sign up. Not a scam, works great (my wife and I have been using it for a while).

8. robinson

robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I'm also *very* interested in this. When you get it on, can you PM me? I'm also in nova, and it would be nice to check it out too, as you are pretty close by.

On the road noise thing, I noticed that as well. I'm thinking about getting some sound damping stuff and doing my entire car... It would be slick to have a "take apart your car day", and get a bunch of peeps + beer and have a blast doing it. I got a set of nylon interior panel removal tools in the mail too.

9. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am going to send the guy who did my car stereo install the link to the one company that sells soundproofing material and ask his opinion. I wouldn't know what it's like to take up the car's carpeting as well...wouldn't want to do it if it would be a hassle but would soundproof there as well if it's not. I guess I should get on that before it's cold out.

The ETA for the Cusco brace isn't until early December.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Expect it to be expensive if you have a shop do the install for you. If you plan on doing the work yourself then it will still be somewhat expensive for the material and expect a lot of work and some sore hands. :)

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian, thanks for the information,

Let us know how the brace works out. I wouldn't call a bumpier ride with more solid footing worse, I don't like road noise though. I know on my last car, the tire made a huge difference on road noise. That rim doesn't look very aero either, so I wonder if it contributes to the noise.

I'm torn on the wheel/tire upgrade on 16 versus 17. It looks like you can put 16x205R55s or 16x225R50s on the car, I wonder whether one of these might be a better choice when it comes to noise. What do you think? I do like the look of the 17s though. I assume I'll end up adding different springs, or braces to help with the body role.

I now have a Prius II on order thinking that the handling can be tamed. I did the II rather than the III since it seems like I'll need to change speakers anyway. Are you happy with your speaker choice. I may have the shop add some sound deadening material in the doors when the change the speakers. F8L are you happy with the sound mods that you have done?

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am very pleased with my set up but I would not recommend these exact components to anyone unless they were rich. :) You could easily duplicate my system with less expensive components and have a great sounding system. The two 12" subwoofers and 1500w amp may a bit overkill for a lot of people on here so a single quality 10" sub and 300-500w would be more than enough for great sound and a bit of kick when you want it.

I'm setting up something similar for Hyo Silver if he ever gets around to buying the stuff. ;)

13. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd stick with the lightest (good) tires you can find between the sizes. I assume the 205/55's will have less width to them and would probably be more quiet. Plus not all tires will be available in both sizes and the pricing might be quite different.

My set-up is really geared towards the JBL amp. I do like the Bazooka being something I can easily move around, but otherwise you should get a 4 or 5 channel amp and replace the door speakers.

14. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Venom, do you feel like the mudflaps make the car look any " cheaper" so to speak? Icve had mine on my black prius and there's something odd about them being the only rubber/ matte finish looking part on the car. Kinda reminds me of the types of things many cars had in the 90's. Oh well it should start raining soon so maybe function will trump form enough for me to keep wth it. Otherwise I'll be selling em here in private sales and looking into a subtle lip kit

15. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't even realize that they are on there anymore. It really just blends in to the car and they do cut down on road spray as well as brake dust it seems. Well worth it in my book.

16. cunnink2

cunnink2 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We can assme the the greatest majority of Prius owners are frugal and I am no exception. But..... man I like the 17" wheels & tires. I think Brian (Venom) got a very reasonable deal. After reading everything I could on this website, I issued myself a challenge. How little money can I spend and upgrade to 17"? It needs to look good and be light weight. This is what I found:
    Discount Tire Direct - MB Wheels 17X7 5-100 42SM (19.4 lbs) $330.00 with the online savings and free shipping.
    Local Tire Dealer - can balance, install, etc. Goodyear RS-A Eagle P215/45R17 (OD 24.7, RPM 848) for $496.48. With a $40 Goodyear rebate, I can upgrade for $786.48. Let me know what I am overlooking before I pull the trigger.

17. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can probably factor in some money you'd get if you sold your stock wheels and tires. Seems like on eBay the stock 15" rims go for ~ $300. I haven't checked in a while but that seems like what they were last time I did.

1 person likes this.
  18. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check out this link regarding the tires:

Goodyear Eagle RS-A

They get HORRIBLE reviews. It's worth much more paying for a good tire. Plus just simply looking at the weight of the rims you chose, you will lose more MPG. Sometimes paying a little more for a lighter rims evens out with the MPG comparison.

Plus the real kicker is the treadwear rating on those Goodyear's...it's only 260!!!!!! That is worse than most ultra high performance summer tires!

1 person likes this.
  19. fadec

fadec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got my 08 and its got brand new tires. I hate to upgrade to 17" when i could get the 15" and swap my tires over. Did i mention that I hate road noise.
    Does anyone have this set up on 15" SP10?

Venom your car looks awesome!

20. mayfair1572

mayfair1572 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a '10 Prius IV with sunroof, nav etc and also upgraded the tires and wheels to 17's. Just remember to add the cost of new sensors for the wheels and the cost for your dealer to reprogram the TPMS system so the warning light won't illuminate.