1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" Wheels, Low Profile Tires, vs Standard ... help.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dfrost7, Mar 25, 2013.

1. dfrost7

dfrost7 Junior Member

So, I got in an accident and totaled my 2006 Prius (I miss her). She was totaled. I got a wonderful 2006, with 100k less miles. Dream. She's black (old one magnetic gray), tinted windows, and 17" wheels with low profile tires. Came with a Curt hitch. I always wanted a hitch. Here's a picture of the wheels (not home so I can't attach the pic of my car).

craigslist | manage posting

Anyway, my son wants me to sell the wheels and tires, and look for some standard wheels, since I drive long distances, and love camping. He said they're too expensive if I get a flat (the 17") ones. They're TC wheels, by the way. What is your experience? I drive from So. Cal to Oregon, Colorado, camp, etc. I'm sure he's right, but I'm getting ridiculous low offers for them on Craigslist. If I can't trade them, or get their value, should I just keep them? Will they travel ok? I've never had fancy wheels. I plan to use the hitch for bikes and cargo, and see some here have fancy wheels and use the heck out of the hitch.

Thank you,
    Laurie

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... You'll save lots of money on gas if you go back to standard wheels... Also if you're gonna drive on gravel lots it's less likely stock wheels and tires will fail. Best of all, if you post a picture of the wheels on here you might find someone in your area who will trade you their stock Prius wheels plus cash for your 17" wheels...

dfrost7 likes this.
  3. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you're OK with the ride quality and gas mileage, stick with your existing TC rims (they were a standard "sporty" upgrade for the Gen 2 back in the day). You can buy a heck of a lot of gas for the price of new wheels and tires! As for durability of the 17s vs the 15s, I don't think theres much in it.