1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

170K Miles....Maybe its time to replace the suspension? I need help figuring this out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Garron, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Garron

Garron New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys,

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius. It currently has 170k miles on it. This car has never had the suspension replaced, and it also has never had any serious work done to it. I am estimating that the suspension is going to cost me around 1000-1500 to get it replaced (unless I do the work myself, which I am willing to do). I have a few questions.
    1. I live on a gravel road, is there a good suspension that can handle this?
    2. Is it worth getting the suspension replaced?
    3. Would it be better to get a new Prius? (I personally think no, but I would like to get a second opinion)
    4. What else should I be worried about at 170k Miles.

Thank guys,

Appreciate the help!

JMD likes this.
  2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just drive it till it dies, but keep up with the service schedule.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like munpot says drive it till the wheels fall off. Don't put a dime in it. Your approaching diminishing returns at 170K.

Btw, did you ever change the trans fluid?

4. Garron

Garron New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually yes, we changed the trans fluid at around 135k. It looked extremely clean!
    Also, I was thinking the same thing about driving it till it dies...but I also would like to take care of anything that may creep up in the future early so that I don't get stranded.

Thanks! :)

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clean at 135k? Wow.

Well you got alot that may creep up in the future. Most likely the Hybrid battery or the cvt. And an 04 at 170+ is not worth putting $3000 into imo. Just drive it real easy. Keep clean Inverter coolant in it and take it real easy on going up hills. Don't know where you live as you didn't put that in your profile but watch the SOC when going up hills. It may go another 100K!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I live on a gravel road, is there a good suspension that can handle this? No.
    2. Is it worth getting the suspension replaced? Yes, if you plan to keep the car and want to improve your ride quality - especially if you can contribute the labor content.
    3. Would it be better to get a new Prius? Depends upon if you have sufficient funds and no better alternate use for them.
    4. What else should I be worried about at 170k Miles. How long the traction battery, inverter and transaxle will last.

7. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst

8. Garron

Garron New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Personally, I do have the funds but there are much better things I would prefer to spend the money on. I would like the car to last. If I were to change the suspension, is there a certain brand or style I should go with?

Also, any clue how to tell what condition the battery, inverter and tranny are in?

9. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have no idea what this guy's on about... I drive my Prius offroad quite a bit in the summer (BLM roads) and it does just fine.

Are you sure your suspension needs replacement? Did you give it the bounce test? Have you inspected the struts for leakage?

The trouble you'll go through to analyze the condition of those various parts are for naught. There is no crystal ball that'll tell you exactly when something will fail. Just take the advice of the others: drive it until the wheels fall off.

10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just bring it to Sears and ask them to evaluate the suspension. They will put the car on a lift and show you a few things and provide a quote if needed. Sears has some cheap struts if they need a replacement. It's worth it to take the car to 2 or 3 different places and compare notes and quotes. If you have a Trusted Advisor mechanic then go that route.

However.

170,000 Miles is plenty. With a Prius you are heading into some expensive repair scenarios. It is the time when you start to think about replacing the car and prepare for the next journey. I drove a Honda Civic 250,000 miles it was a decade old. It was such a welome process to trade it in at the dealer and get a new car. Today with 0% financing you can buy a car for a song and a dance.

I had a 2006 BMW 325 I that I sold with 110,000 miles and 6 years old. Got about 15K for it paid a bill off and put half as a new down payment. It was time the car was an albatross and the headache and repair costs were not worth it. The car was not reliable like a Honda or Toyota. Getting a new Prius provided the Peace of Mind of worry free motoring. Your old car is a Problem waiting to happen. It was a good car but time for 2 old friends to part ways.

Just my opinion, not worth much.

Garron likes this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does "change the suspension" mean to you? Does this mean replacing the front struts and rear shocks? Or does this mean that you also want to replace the coil springs?

In any event, I do not think you have many choices. With regards to Toyota-branded parts, you can choose between the "base" and "Touring" suspension parts. Another member had posted with part numbers needed to convert base to Touring.

You can also buy KYB-branded parts. KYB is the original equipment supplier and its not clear whether the KYB-branded parts are better, worse, or the same as original equipment.

I believe you may also be able to find other alternatives, but I haven't heard of any that would make me sit up and take notice. Good luck with your choice.

Regarding the inverter and transaxle, since the failure tends to be electrical in nature, there typically is no advance notice. One day you are fine; the next your instrument panel looks like a Christmas tree.

If the transaxle has a pending mechanical failure (like a bearing) you would typically start to hear unusual noises from that area.

The traction battery is aging and deteriorating over time. It's unclear how much more life you can get out of it, but after 9 years and 170K miles, consider each additional day of service to be a bonus.

12. Garron

Garron New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is kind of how I feel. It has been an awesome car, it has done extremely well for me, and the fact that I will be graduating college this year almost makes me feel I should get something nice for myself. At the same time, I just looked at New/Used Prius-es, and honestly the technology hasn't advanced as much as I would have liked. So for me it comes down to is it worth going into that much debt instead of saving the money more and having it when this one finally goes.
    It also comes down to the expenses of the parts. Being a college student, buying the parts wouldn't be too bad, but taking a weekend to do the work semi-sucks....plus I don't trust mechanics around Northern Virginia. Part of me says, many people have drove them well over 200,000 miles so why not keep the one I have until then. The other part of me says, replace it now with something newer and not likely to break down. Being my age and not having any responsibilities like kids being broken down a year from now is not that bad. Then it just comes back to the whole debt thing again.

I personally think the smart thing to do is ride this one out till it dies. This allows me to save up money for the new one when the time comes. But if I do this, is it worth replacing the suspension. I personally don't know all the parts I would need to replace, but probably all of them. I try to go off the idea of "If the work is more than the value of the car, than don't do it" but in this case my mind is telling me "If you spend x amount of money on repairs today, and the car breaks down tomorrow you have lost x amount of money".

Which still leads me back to idea number one......The suspension

:)

ElectricCarFan and JMD like this.
  13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Kid your all right. At least your thinking about your options. No matter what path you choose money will be your ticket so always good to save alittle.

I did not purchase my first new car from a dealer until 4 years after I graduated college. It was a Black Honda Civic SI with a stick. Man it was a pleasure to drive. The most enjoyable part was every morning it started up. I had my share of hand me down cars and the endless repairs.

Best of luck. Who knows that Prius may go another 100,000 miles without a hickup or Bam today is the day of reckoning. I like Prius but when stuff goes wrong it is a financial calamity on a grand scale. At the least you are aware and preparing. :)

14. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.

Let's do some simple math. Buying a new Prius, you'll instantly lose several thousand dollars (let's say $4k) in depreciation alone. Let's say your current Prius will last you another 5 years. $4k / 5 years is almost $1k a year. That's a LOT of repair bills you'll have to rack up just to break even with the new Prius scenario.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So is it broken?

Garron likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Suspension.

Ok...new struts (ever change struts yourself ?) + lca's with BJ's + stab links +sb bushings. Man oh man that's alot of work. You never mentioned cv joints and its maybe not possible your still one the oem's but lets throw them in. That's about $1000 just in parts alone. And days of labor and alot of tools if DIY. Oh and while your were in there you noticed the front brake cyl's slaves are weeping. Oh goody thats dealer only. Thats $500 alone usually dealer only. Swell. And on and on and on. All of a sudden you have $15oo in the front end. Sweet!

Rear end is maybe $300. Pushing a deuce now and got a really nice rolling 170,000 miles + counting car.

Any one of these really common failures will knock you out:

Hybrid Battery
    CVT
    Steering
    ABS Actuator
    Clock Spring
    Blown Engine
    AC Compressor

Plus ongoing maintenance.

JMD likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p, why do you keep harping on the suspension?

JMD likes this.
  17. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. How long is the gravel road? If it's only a mile or two, a standard suspension is fine.
    2. Unless you have really uneven tire wear and a horribly bouncy ride, you're wasting your money.
    3. Only if you can afford it and plan to drive it for a long, long, loooooong time.
    4. Don't worry, be happy you drive a Prius.

Did you put the 170K miles on your Prius or did you buy it used?

I have put 55K miles on my 05. I bought it used with 135K miles in Oct 2010. I have had no problems with it and have not replaced any parts (not counting regular maintenance stuff) except for a headlight leveling sensor.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just as I said. I like Prius but when stuff goes wrong it is a financial calamity on a grand scale.
    That gasoline Honda Civic is looking better.

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh I see you just slid the O/p in there.
    But you have a point. Its been beat to death.
    Moving on........:whistle:

JMD likes this.